Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any party planners in this bunch? Need advice!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

OK so our family has gotten into a rut at Holidays and I'm trying to think of ways to "spice up" Thanksgiving this year. Usually I spend 3 days cooking, my inlaws come over, eat half the food in 20 minutes and leave with left over plates and that's about it. I've become the holiday fast-food joint, it seems. It's rude on their part but I usually let it slide because it's a holiday and who wants to start something on a holiday, right? I like doing the cooking but I kind feel like I do all that work and all these preparations and it's over in less than an hour. What are some of the ways you entertain your guests and do you have any tips on how we could make this a more enjoyable experience for everyone?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jortiz1978
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Wow thats really rude that they do that and I would be annoyed. Honestly, I am not sure that I would host Thanksgiving anymore if I were you. Anyway, in my family we have started the tradition on having a cocktail hour before dinner is served. We have appetizers and my sis and I always come up with a themed beverage. Our drink is always a cocktail but you could do something non alcholic like a special cider or something! I know it sounds nuts to eat before dinner but we enjoy the appetizers and just chilling out before dinner. 

jortiz1978
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Oh and we also like to play games after dinner. Pictionary was a blast! One year we even did karoake but again my family is fun but crazy so I know its not for everyone! 

melisawoosley
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I have family like that. My grandma started lying to everyone about what time the food would be done and then everyone comes early and has to visit till the food is done. Sneaky woman! I love my grandma!

MommyOnLI
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

for as long as i can remember (doesnt matter which holiday it is)

appitizers (to munch on before dinner is served):
antipasta salad
sopressata
cheese
Crakers
Olives
artichokes

we sit around and talk while eating the above... then about an hour before dinner we sit and talk.

Dinner:
Soup is served
Pasta is next
Salad is served then the
Main Course
Fruit
Dessert
Coffee

our holidays usually last about 6+ hours

ginger813
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM

My in laws did that to me once a couple of years ago...we haven't spent Thanksgiving with them since! 

bmwlover
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Not sure where your in-laws are from. Why don't your suggest "pot luck" Or assigned to have people bring something small. Also when you're in the kitchen involve them. Give them a dish rag to wash dishes or give them something to make them involved.

I love playing games after a Thanksgiving meal. It's entertaining and it involves everyone Except there be someone that whats to watch football.

ThePinkRobot
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:25 PM

That is horrible!  How rude!  How about you just don't have the food all ready or at least not set out.  Be sitting in the living room with a glass of wine when they come in and tell them food will be served in an hour or so.  Maybe if you chill out it will force them to also. 

destiny29
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)