Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

trouble with latching on while nursing

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

i didnt have any problems b4, but it started a couple wks ago, i started  getting purple spots on my nipples. im not sure whaty it is exactly 

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommyjones0608
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Any chance its just a little bruising? I got really sore and bruised after a couple of weeks of nursing my son.

bluemist246
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM

if it is painful that is a big clue you are not latched properly. the baby should have a lot of your breast tissue in the mouth so that your nipple can hit the back of the mouth because that's ware the sucking reflex is. you want the baby to open really wide then bring the baby towards the breast (not the other way around). the baby should not have only the nipple in the mouth, but have a little more tissue as well. you want to see the jaw move in a pattern of open wide then a few small while the baby is latched. and always use your finger to release the suction before taking the baby off your breast.

i don't know exactly what is going on so i hope this helps. you should also ask to see a lactation consultant if you still are having trouble.

Mom to Daniel 9/13/08               

Doula in training!                   Blessed Be

packermommy
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:21 AM

she has almost all of my areola in her mouth she gulps and sucks then stops and does little suckles. she always takes herself off. an it just started being purple prolly a couple weeks ago but she latches and nurses the same as before an i never go t purple. an im only sore the first few seconds she begins nursing then im perfectly fine, my nipples dont hurt. so i dont know what it is 

CODYSMOM_00
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)