Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

Would it be wrong of me to buy my 5 year old a computer? His favorite nick character is Freddy from ICarly. He said that he wants to learn all that computer stuff so he can be like him.

The problem with this is that I only have about $100-$150 for his presents for Christmas. So if I bought him this now, he would not get any other presents and I would have to probably get a refurb. Or I can wait until his birthday in April and buy him a new one since it will be around tax season and I will also be able to spend a little more.

Oh, and if you know where I can buy a computer for about $100-$150 please let me know

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I don't think a computer is a good gift for a 5 year old.  Why can't he just use your computer?

squidsmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Why don't you just let him use the computer that you use?

lexismum03
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM

How about one of those learning laptops? Its not a real computer but at 5 he can still be using yours with supervison! My dd is 6 and there is no way we are doing a computer yet! she has internet access on ours and that is enough for her age!

And Wife of a soon to be Police officer!

MommyOnLI
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM

check best buy or dell... you can cheap computers

newmommyhjm
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I personally think 5 years old is too young for a personal computer... but you're the mom, you know your child... your call. ;0)

You could always get him one of the toy laptop things and help him use yours... or get him computer games to use on yours! ;0)

I'm Heather. Proud Army wife to Colt, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Loving Mommy to Chyenne, the prettiest little milk monster, and precious Cohen, also a milk monster!

ashli488
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I agree with lexismum. Mybe a learning laptop that will enable him to learn as he is "working" on his computer and supervise him as you show him different things that Freddie does with your computer. Mabye you could buy that kids video recorder as if he was being just like freddie too...just a thought 

CafeMom Tickers
Cookie2004
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

i think 5 is to lil to let have a real computer i would sugesst a play one that looks like a real one

preciouschild
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I would get him one for those kiddi computers.They can teach him at the same time as he thinks he's being freddi.Plus that way you can get him more then one gift.

kcrunion73
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM

what about something like this that plugs into your computer

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3088133

or leapfrog has the clickstart

swizzlefiz
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM

My DD is 5 and has her own laptop.  It was a hand me down though.  My DH gets a new 1 every 2 years through work.  She really loves it but we make sure its locked down pretty tight.  If you can afford it, I bet he'd love it.  Maybe look for a used one on ebay or craigslist?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)