Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

braces 4my 7year old?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:47 PM
  • 22 Replies

the orthodontist wants to put braces on my 7 yr old boy! who has heard of this? they said his front 2top (adult) teeth have "shifted" and dont align with his bottom 2 front(still baby) teeth. there is also one baby tooth that has shifted over preventing one of his adult teeth from coming in right now. you can barely tell the front teeth dont lign up...I only realized this once he told me! does a 7 year old really need braces on his baby teeth? any1 have a child with braces on their baby teeth?

Miss Cristiegiving mom gift

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcrunion73
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM

never heard of it.  everyone i know was at least 12

aapye
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM

A lot of dentists want to do this because it is financially better for the dentist.  I would tell your dentist no, not until he loses his baby teeth. 

Buggy979

my daughter had hers put on at 7.5 yrs so yes it is common. We also had to have two teeth pulled just so that we can get the adult teeth straight and then she will not have to have braces as a teen. good luck

lexismum03

I have never heard of that! they always wait until all the permanent teeth are in! whats the use if there are still baby teeth?!

And Wife of a soon to be Police officer!

CODYSMOM_00
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Quoting lexismum03:

I have never heard of that! they always wait until all the permanent teeth are in! whats the use if there are still baby teeth?!

i agree!!!! he's too young. ds is 9 and is getting them later when all his permanent teeth are in.

themountainmama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Dentist?  Not an orthodontist?  Then I'd say no way.  This is not completely uncommon though, for an ortho to do this to help with future alignment.  But, if you don't think you'll stay with the same ortho, it may be for not.   

Rosesandlilys
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM

NONONO! I had braces on my baby teeth and it was torture for no reason! My parents paid up the ass for NOTHING. Only for me to get them taken off, and refuse to have anything more done to my teeth ever. I wont even get my wisdom teeth removed! I went to the dentist as an adult, and because of what that stupid quack did to my teeth when I was little, he said the only way to fix it was to remove my jaw from my face, break it, reset it and have my jaw wired shut for 10 weeks or more. I refused, and still do.

PrttyMstng
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM

It's very common for an orthodontist to place braces on a 7 or 8 year old.  The child usually wears the braces for a shorter amount of time because they can do the corrections as the permanent teeth move into place which is easier than moving the teeth after they have fully erupted.

I've been a dental hygienist for more than 20 years and have seen many children with braces.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:39 AM

At my daughters last dental visit, she told us she was going to teach us a new word, ORTHODONTIST......she plans to send us to one after her next dental visit in february and my daughter is 6 now will be 7 in January......she too said it would just be a conseltation and would probably tell us what teeth needed to be pulled so adult teeth could come in. My daughter has lost 7 teeth and only gotten 4 in.....no room the dentist says.

Good luck~~from what I can see it is the new normal 

char944
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM

My dentist recommended an orthodontist when my dd was 7.  She had braces put on and wore them for...2? years.  Then, becasue she was still a kid, she didn't wear her retainer at night and i had to put a SECOND pair of braces on.  Needless to say, she has beautiful teeth, but i'd wait until your son was older.  Teeth can be moved around a lot...I'd wait until his permanent teeth are in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)