Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too early to start potty training my 15month old

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

IS my 15 month old too young to start potty training? She has an extreme interest in the toilet and she can't stand being in a dirty daiper. If she has a dirty diaper she will either take the diaper off and bring it too me or she wil sit down beside me and start picking at the diaper. I have put her on her potty and she has used it over 6 times, but some people are still telling me she is too young, or they tell me that she should be potty trained in 2 weeks, how long should it really take to potty train her?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Upinyourface
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM

It is all about her.

Potty ready is all the steps awareness and control.

If she knows when she needs to poo and pee and can tell you that she needs to then you can let her.

If you notice that she needs to use the potty...how she acts, then ask.

What I did was help my 13 month old , who was asking about potties, pick one out. Next I read the books Everybody poops and also the book Little Grover I Got to go.

I discribed what has to happen. Notice I got to go. TEll mom. Get to the potty. Take down pants.

Get on potty. Go. Wipe. Pants up. WAsh . TAda!

It takes what it takes. There is no wrong. Kids are smart and they get what they get when they get it.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Yes, for physically peeing or pooing.  You can show where people go to the bathroom, dad or mom can sit on the toilet.  Toddlers under 20 months physically are not able to control their bladder or bowel movements.  Boys usually take longer then girls.  Learning to potty train can be easier for children that attend childcare because they see other children going to the bathroom regurly.  Go to babycenter.com, it will list the best times when your toddler is ready to learn to go to the potty.

LilahandElliot
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM

If she's wanting to do it then try. we started teaching my DD about the toilet and letting her sit on it occasionally when she was about 15 months or so. Then when she was 20 months we actually started potty training, it only took us a couple of weeks. She's 23 months now and wears only a diaper overnight. She will wake up during nap if she has to go potty... but she isn't waking up in the middle of the night yet to go pee.

I'm Aubree (or Bree), I'm a 21 year old, formula feeding, non-circumcising,  non-vaccinating, occasionally co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, brutally honest, thinks children can call their step-parent "mommy" or "daddy" if that's what they choose, wife to Andy since 04/07, mommy to Delilah Renee since 12/07, Mommy to Elliot Jay since 08/09, and step-mommy to Brookelyn Lucille (born 09/05).

tulks
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I dont think it is early when you feel like your child might be ready. In the States,my daughters doctor told me that before 2 years of age is way to young but me and all my friends were trained as early as 12 months of age. It was the standard then (in the 80s ) and i also trained my kid (3 years old right now) around that same time.Of course,she still continued to have many accidents and actually, to this day she prefers to wear a pull up at night (although it is dry 5 nights out of 7).

It doesnt hurt to introduce the potty if the kiddo is interested! Think of all the diapers you dont have to buy& how easy it will be with her in trips ..one extra thing less to pack! ;)

Good luck!

Waycross48
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Hi, from Nana Judy, Fifteen months is a bit too young for potty training.  What ends up happening is that YOU are the one who is potty trained - you keep asking her if she has to go potty - hoping to catch her before she goes.  Until she is old enough to come to you and tell you that she needs to go BEFORE she wets her diaper - then she's not old enough.  It's very common at her age to be interested in "what's" in her diaper.  This is the age when they begin to take their diaper off - smear the contents on the wall, the bed, etc. YUK!!  But, it doesn't mean they are ready for potty training.  Even if she is showing interest in the potty - she still to young to have the bladder control necessary for her to actually be potty trained.  Now, that's not to say that you should just ignore her interest.  But, it might just be a passing "fancy".  You could try gettting her a potty seat and Sesame Street has a great DVD on potty training.  My 2 1/2 year old niece just loves it.  We are just beginning to train her now.  Around 2 - 2 1/2 is a good age for a child to actually be "trained".  They are old enough to talk and tell you when they need to potty and they are old enough to have the bladder control needed for training.  That's the main problem with trying to train your daughter.  Do enourage her interest but don't let your hopes get too high at this age.  I can't say it's impossible, but it's not likely you'll be able to train her at so young an age.  Like I said, it's the parents who are actually "trained" when the child is this young.  I wish you all the best with her. I've been through this many times in the 50 years I've been taking care of children (since I was 12 years old!!) - Wow!  That's a long time ago!!  But, I've learned a lot about kids in all these years.  God Bless you and best of luck when the time comes to train your daughter.   Nana Judy

Waycross48

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Our DD just turned 18 mos. on Sunday and started peeing on the potty at 15 months.  We've been actively potty training since Friday and only has one accident a day.  She is holding it for errands and naps and even comes to find me when she has to go.  My advice, if you are serious about it, do not use pull ups and refuse to give up and go back to diapers "for a couple of months."  It is a TON of work.  I have to bug my DD every fifteen minutes if she's actively taking in fluids.  Just take notice if she stops in the middle of an activity or hides to do #2.  Seriously, you are going to have to watch her like a hawk but she can be trained in a week.  BTW, I've had to bunch the back of her undies to stay up with a small rubber band because she's wearing a size 12mos and the undies start at 2T. 

tyrelsmom
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM

It's not too early to start.  My son started at 16 months.  He's now nearly trained at  24 months.  Welcoming a new sister at 21 months set him back a ways.  What people seem to not realize is that when potty training, you don't always need to go hard.   My son wears cloth diapers, so he feels when he's wet, and I can change him after every wet without spending a fortune.  My method was to encourage him to use the potty, but in the end leave it up to him, and give treats and rewards for using the potty, no reaction for a dirty diaper, I just change it.  So mostly he's potty trained himself.  Except number 2.  Although he's starting on that one.  I think he just can't get up the guts to do it on the potty.  He'll tell me he needs to go, sit on the pot a little while (usually pee), and then say done.  Then I put his diaper back on and he poops in it 15 minutes later.  But it's all a process.  I'd just rather he went through that process at his own rate, no stress no pressure.  At least until he's a lot older.  That's JMO.  But using my method can take years.  Then again, it's no stress or pressure on anyone, so it's no biggie if it does take years.  And it tends to be a two steps forward one step back type of thing.  It's hard work for such a little kid, and sometimes they back off and relax for a bit.

rachael_c
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My daughter is 15 months and we already started her on the potty.  She will poop on the potty, she's real good about it too.  She has never liked the feel of poop in her diaper against her butt.  So we've got the hard part down first.  It's the peeing that we are having a hard time with.

Good luck!

BellaNanook
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM

They say the earlier you start the longer it takes.    She is probably too young.  Can she go to the potty  herself and pull her pants up and down yet?  Does she go 3 to 4 hours without wet diapers?  They say it is too young because at that age they don't have enough bowel or urine control.  They may do good sometimes, but generally not enough to not make mistakes often and then it would be discouraging for both of you.

Cryssie2107
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM

My mother who has 11 children always says..if they are old enought to tell you they went in their diaper..they are old enough to go on the potty.

AND I myself was completely potty trained by 17 mo.!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)