Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE...16 MTH OLD WITH 102.6 TEMP

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM
  • 10 Replies

It is midnight, and my son is running 103.6 temperature(rectal) now. This is day 3. What do I do?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Put coffee on, wake him at 3 am give him fluids. Wake him at 6am, give fluids and check his temp.  If it's still 103 or higher take him to the doc. 

kris_81
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I would go to the ER.

liz1986
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Quoting kris_81:

I would go to the ER.

Proud Army Wife to Tim 12.31.07
Mommy to Chris 06.21.05
Mommy to Anthony 07.24.07

army washing dishesbackpack toddler boy

sillygooses
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I think that's  a good idea - that's a pretty high temp. DEFINITELY if it gets any worse, take him right away! Poor kiddo, I hope that he gets better - all the luck to you both!!!

Quoting kris_81:

I would go to the ER.

ThinkTwice08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:44 AM

How is your child 'acting'? Is he extreamly uncomfortable or acting very sick or lethargic?

FEVER is a NORMAL and critical part of the process of getting over an illness. It is normal for a child to have a fever of 103 to even 105 depending on the illness. Different viruses require different temperatures to be killed off.  Giving Tylenol and Motrin will only SLOW the process.  (and they can have negative effect on the liver and kidneys over time.) I would only use that medication if your child is too uncomfortable to sleep. Luek warm baths are a great natural alternative.

Just try to keep your little one as comfy as possible, relax, and wait it out. It will get better.  The notion that a prolonged fever can cause 'brain damage' is an old wives tale. The body has a built in mechanism that won't allow your body tempt to go over 105 -unless there is blood poisoning or heat stroke. (google 'the bennifits of fever"- to calm your worries on the matter.) 

I hope your baby is feeling better soon! :)

ps. A wonderful book to help you know what you can do at home to help your child through typical illness and when a doctor's visit is "warrented"...."How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Robert Medelsohn MD (pediatrics)

A Febrile seizure is NOT caused by the fever itself...it is caused by an extreamly RAPID RISE in the infants temp. Typically a fast enough rise that the parent wouldn't even have realized the temp had risen already.

The child either would have had a seizer during the rise, or wouldn't have. Either way the seizure does NOT harm the child OR cause brain damage...it is merely unpleasant for the child and parent to have to experience.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

SailorMoonChld
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Seizures can harm a child if they are in a bad spot to have one.. ie Falling off the bed, hitting their head. They can also bite their tongue which can cause pretty bad bleeding because of the vessels in the tongue. And if your child does have a seizure, you may want to make sure it's not Meningitis by taking them to the ER for a doctor to check him out, cause that could be causing said fever. 

If you think he has swine flu, or any type of flu, a nice bath is nice. Give them lots of fluids to drink. Curl them up in bed with some nice warm blankets and such. Stuff that you would do for yourself if you felt crummy. A cold rag on their head might help if they feel really hot. Fevers are good, but normally after 24 hours of not going down on it's own or with children's tylenol, you would want to call your pediatrician just in case. Our hospital where I work is usually sending people home with medication and telling then to drink lots of fluids and rest. Unless it's progressed into something worse, do they admit them. 

Lilypie
babie113
by Jenny on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:19 AM

what she said

Quoting sillygooses:

I think that's  a good idea - that's a pretty high temp. DEFINITELY if it gets any worse, take him right away! Poor kiddo, I hope that he gets better - all the luck to you both!!!

Quoting kris_81:

I would go to the ER.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I would never run to the ER with a kid with a temp of 103 or 104.  What other symptoms does he have?  flu symptoms?  If he has the flu its too late for tamiflu anyway.  Has he been checked in the last 3 days for flu or other things?  Many viruses last 10 days or so with 10 days of fever.  Mine had fevers for 8 days with the seasonal flu before.  I don't understand the panic over fevers.  They are fighting off some sort of an infection. 

retsillacam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM

don't think the ER is nessasary. 102.6 is not that high. Wait and take him to his pedi.

retsillacam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:33 AM

great advice. I agree.

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

How is your child 'acting'? Is he extreamly uncomfortable or acting very sick or lethargic?

FEVER is a NORMAL and critical part of the process of getting over an illness. It is normal for a child to have a fever of 103 to even 105 depending on the illness. Different viruses require different temperatures to be killed off.  Giving Tylenol and Motrin will only SLOW the process.  (and they can have negative effect on the liver and kidneys over time.) I would only use that medication if your child is too uncomfortable to sleep. Luek warm baths are a great natural alternative.

Just try to keep your little one as comfy as possible, relax, and wait it out. It will get better.  The notion that a prolonged fever can cause 'brain damage' is an old wives tale. The body has a built in mechanism that won't allow your body tempt to go over 105 -unless there is blood poisoning or heat stroke. (google 'the bennifits of fever"- to calm your worries on the matter.) 

I hope your baby is feeling better soon! :)

ps. A wonderful book to help you know what you can do at home to help your child through typical illness and when a doctor's visit is "warrented"...."How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Robert Medelsohn MD (pediatrics)

A Febrile seizure is NOT caused by the fever itself...it is caused by an extreamly RAPID RISE in the infants temp. Typically a fast enough rise that the parent wouldn't even have realized the temp had risen already.

The child either would have had a seizer during the rise, or wouldn't have. Either way the seizure does NOT harm the child OR cause brain damage...it is merely unpleasant for the child and parent to have to experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)