Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

online classes....are they for real???

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm thinking about signing up to take online classes, but I'm afraid that the certifications won't be legit. I was thinking of medical billing or something along those line. Is there anything I should know about these types of schools?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM

bump

mamigee98
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM
BUMP!!!!
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM

ONline school are legit..My MIL teaches ay University of Phoenix online...

wedding planning

kenziejosmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:47 AM

The most important thing, make sure they're Nationally Acreddited (Idk if i spelled that wrong..)

If they don't have natioanl accreditation, those credits will NOT transfer anywhere else. I take online classes through my community college right now and am transfering to Liberty University. I start there on my MA in Psychology.

Idk about medical billing or anything but check out Ashworth (i think) online, Liberty U online, University of Pheonix (they should have it). You can google online schooling and find a ton. Just make sure they're nationally accredited and that your credits will transfer. If you find one you REALLY like you can send me a link and I can check it out for you. I did that for 2 years before I was even done w/my associates (I finish in May) just so I wouldn't get screwed :)

orange4agua72
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I take online classes and regular classes thru my school. This next semester because I'm pregnant: I will be taking two regular classes and then 3 online.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com 

mommy2mason09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM

i've taken online classes through schools that were strictly online ONLY. Let me tell you, i paid anywhere from 2-4times as much as a community college would be. I am $18,000+ in debt with student loans just for 1 year of online classes. My online school was legit and had accreditation. However, before you take online classes, make sure they are legit, have the proper accreditation, and classes/hours will transfer.

That is where i made my mistake, i didn't check to see if it was the type of accreditation that i needed to transfer and i didn't check to see if the hours/classes would transfer. 

There are a few different types of accreditation. Just make sure it is the type that is taken by a future school if you plan to transfer anywhere else afterwards.

I am having to RETAKE 4 or 5 classes just because they wouldn't transfer simply because of the accreditation issues.

I am going to a community college here and i ABSOLUTELY love it!! Most colleges offer online classes as well.

To me, i think most online classes are a joke. 

I am taking half of my classes on campus and half online. The ones that i am taking online are my general education classes. Meaning, the classes that i have already taken before, whether in college or highschool.

Let me tell  you though, I would rather take general education classes online than specialty classes.

General education classes are easy because they are ones that i have taken before, so i know what to do.

The "specialty" classes, or special classes needed for my degree, are the ones that i take ON CAMPUS. Simply because i have never taken them before and because if i have a question, i can receive an answer right then or go to their office and have a talk with them.

With online classes, if you are having trouble or have a question, IT SUCKS having to WAIT for help or an email with an answer.

I hope that this helped you :-)

Quoting mamigee98

I'm thinking about signing up to take online classes, but I'm afraid that the certifications won't be legit. I was thinking of medical billing or something along those line. Is there anything I should know about these types of schools?

TiredMommy6906
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM

It really depends on the school. Something to think about, if you decide to switch schools, make sure the school you choose is accredited. Otherwise, the classes/credits may not transfer. Another option is to look around in your area and find some community colleges nearby. Community colleges also offer online degrees without costing too much. So, do a lot of universities. Good luck! 

mommy2mason09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I agree with the part I put in red.......

Quoting kenziejosmommy:

The most important thing, make sure they're Nationally Acreddited (Idk if i spelled that wrong..)

If they don't have natioanl accreditation, those credits will NOT transfer anywhere else. I take online classes through my community college right now and am transfering to Liberty University. I start there on my MA in Psychology.

Idk about medical billing or anything but check out Ashworth (i think) online, Liberty U online, University of Pheonix (they should have it). You can google online schooling and find a ton. Just make sure they're nationally accredited and that your credits will transfer. If you find one you REALLY like you can send me a link and I can check it out for you. I did that for 2 years before I was even done w/my associates (I finish in May) just so I wouldn't get screwed :)

mommy2mason09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Quoting TiredMommy6906:

It really depends on the school. Something to think about, if you decide to switch schools, make sure the school you choose is accredited. Otherwise, the classes/credits may not transfer. Another option is to look around in your area and find some community colleges nearby. Community colleges also offer online degrees without costing too much. So, do a lot of universities. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)