Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you pay your kids an allowance? If so, how much?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:24 AM
  • 16 Replies

We are wishy-washy about allowances.  We usually give the kids $10 a month, though I think we did $10 every two weeks for awhile.  But I tend to forget and weirdly, the kids forget, too.  (They are 16, 16, 11 and 7.)

Often, I just pay my kids to do particular chores (like yardwork).  They are very motivated when they really want something.  As soon as they get enough cash, they stop asking for chores.  Then weeks/months will go by and no one mentions money at all. 

And THEN, a video game is released and my teenagers realize they don't have any money and suddenly they want an allowance again.  And then I remember that I've forgotten allowances for who knows how long. 

What do you do?  Do you give your kids an allowance?  If so, how much?  How old are your kids?

Do you pay your kids to do chores?   Are allowances tied to chores?

(I don't think I ever got an allowance when I was growing up.  I started babysitting when I was 10 and earned all my own spending money from then on.) 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

My girls are two and almost four. The four year old loves to help fold laundry and pick up her room, the two year old likes to empty the dishwasher, sweep with her little broom and also pick up her room. They are learning how to make their beds now. Instead of weekly allowances at the end of the month the can get one big thing for example in June they wanted a bigger swimming pool so we went and bought one with the pump and filter, last month they both wanted new babies so that is what they got. We use a sticker chart system because they like to see and keep track of what they are doing.

lexismum03
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM

I always wondered this myself. My dd is 6 and we haven't even started real chores yet. She cleans her room...after being told to several times lol. Then she will help if asked but I just haven't figured out a chore system yet..and I really have no clue on how much of an allowance is good?

And Wife of a soon to be Police officer!

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

wew didnt give out allowance.We all live in this house we all clean it.We taught our son that If we all help out we all have more time for fun.If the boys needed money we just gave it(within reason).At age 12 my sons started babysitting. Age 14 worked in catering.Age 15 worked in retail.They kept good grades, played a sport and still had time to spend with friends.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

bren_darlene
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM

My DH and I have 15 children. 12 of which are grown now. Our children's ages are 29 down to 12. We have never done allowances. That is not how the world works. You do not get free money (unless you are on welfare). We are all part of a family and everyone is required to work and do their part to make the family work. As they get older they get to go do some outside jobs (rake leaves, clean a house, etc..) for friends and make a bit of money.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM

My son is 8 and we give him $5 a month. I know it isn't much but our purpose for giving him an allowance was to teach him the value of money and saving for what he wants. We don't make him have set chores. He always keeps his room spotless without me asking and helps me whenever I need help. 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Yes, and it isn't tied to chores at all.  It is pocket money free and clear.  If they do not complete chores, they get a nonfinancial consequence.  Each week my kids get a dollar per year of age.  At the beginning of the month, we give $25.00.  My kids manage this money, including paying a portion of their haircuts, movies, fast food after school snacks, gifts for friends, gifts for siblings.  Over the years, they've each saved a lot, made wise purchases and learned some consumer math skills. 

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

No I don;t do an allowance. I don't think my kids do anything out of the ordinary to get one. they all keep the house clean...but that is expected of them.

They are 4,5 and 9...I don;t even know what they would need one for.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting bren_darlene:

My DH and I have 15 children. 12 of which are grown now. Our children's ages are 29 down to 12. We have never done allowances. That is not how the world works. You do not get free money (unless you are on welfare). We are all part of a family and everyone is required to work and do their part to make the family work. As they get older they get to go do some outside jobs (rake leaves, clean a house, etc..) for friends and make a bit of money.

That make sense.  Thanks!

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Quoting acbbsmama:

My son is 8 and we give him $5 a month. I know it isn't much but our purpose for giving him an allowance was to teach him the value of money and saving for what he wants. We don't make him have set chores. He always keeps his room spotless without me asking and helps me whenever I need help. 

He sounds like a great kid!

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Quoting themountainmama:

Yes, and it isn't tied to chores at all.  It is pocket money free and clear.  If they do not complete chores, they get a nonfinancial consequence.  Each week my kids get a dollar per year of age.  At the beginning of the month, we give $25.00.  My kids manage this money, including paying a portion of their haircuts, movies, fast food after school snacks, gifts for friends, gifts for siblings.  Over the years, they've each saved a lot, made wise purchases and learned some consumer math skills. 

That sounds like a plan I wish I'd implemented!  It's not too late, I suppose...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)