Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Mommy, What is God?" (No Bashing)

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM
  • 29 Replies

This morning was like any other morning. I got up, went and picked out some clothes for my kids to wear and woke them up to get ready for school. Not even 5 minutes up and my oldest DD asks me "Mommy, what is God?". Oh boy, this is going to be difficult, I'm an Eclectic Pagan, raised Christian most my childhood until I was 16 and decided that Christianity didn't make any sense to me. We decided that we weren't going to influence the kids' religious decisions, and let them choose what path they wanted to take, as long as they're happy, we're happy.

That being said, apparently, they've been talking about it at school, even though it's a public school and there is supposed to be a seperation of church and state. There are some ridiculous extremes that the country is taking just to make this a "Multi-belief" country. But I think it's kinda pointless to take something like the pledge of allegiance and tear it all to shreads, but that's me. Just a traditional sort of person when it comes to that sorta stuff.

The point of this totally non-directional post is this. How do I tell a 7 year old, that has been hearing different things from her peers and teachers, what god is? In the path that I've chosen, I believe in a God and Goddess, I figure, you need both parents or at least the "ingredients" from both sexes to be concieved so, it makes sense to have a god and goddess or a mother and father deity. Again, just me that's all. But how do I tell her? 'Cause WOW, this is just a major mind-blower here.

Proud Mommy to 3 monsters and owner of Pagan siggies and graphics

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM

In your case, I would keep it real simple and say something like "God is the voice inside of you that tells you what's right and wrong, and helps you know the difference."  

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM

If the God she is referring to is the christian God, then you need to tell you EXACTLY who He is, or at least, who is He is said to be. I believe in God, 100%.

But if you want to be honest with your kid you need to break out a Bible and explain it all to her. Let her decide, right? You were raised Christian, you know who God is. I think you have a problem with this because you don't believe in Him, not because you just don't know what to say. Because if you were TRUELY being honest with your child, you would've already explained to her who He is.

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Thats a lie. That is a conscience, not God. She is saying she wants to let her DD pick her own religion, and if that's true she shouldn't have any problem explaining the Christian angle of God to her, since that's what she asked.

Quoting Daynaof3:

In your case, I would keep it real simple and say something like "God is the voice inside of you that tells you what's right and wrong, and helps you know the difference."  

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM

You could explain that God is a being that some people believe in and worship.  I don't know your daughter enough to know whether she would understand worship or not, so that would be up to you to say or not.

Daynaof3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Well, I believe that God is my conscience. Without Him I wouldn't know what was right and what was wrong, and neither would you. I don't know how old her child is, but if she doesn't believe in God herself and doesn't want to sway her daughters feelings on it I would keep it simple.

Quoting dosthepost:

Thats a lie. That is a conscience, not God. She is saying she wants to let her DD pick her own religion, and if that's true she shouldn't have any problem explaining the Christian angle of God to her, since that's what she asked.

Quoting Daynaof3:

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

What you believe and what is true by DEFINITION are two different things. Even people who don't believe in God have a conscience.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Well, I believe that God is my conscience. Without Him I wouldn't know what was right and what was wrong, and neither would you. I don't know how old her child is, but if she doesn't believe in God herself and doesn't want to sway her daughters feelings on it I would keep it simple.

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting Daynaof3:

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

If they don't believe in God, then telling her daughter that God is the voice in her head wouldn't work for them.  In the post it says her daughter is 7.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting Daynaof3:

arianas_mom916
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I would say, "God is something or someone that people believe in because they need structure in their life. It gives them someone to ask for help and guidance. Many people believe that God controls the happenings in the universe, but some people don't. Maybe there is a God out there, but it is hard to tell and if you want to find out for yourself Mommy and Daddy can buy you a book called the Bible to help you understand what other people think"

Maybe you have a family friend or something that is Christian that may be able to talk with your DD about it?

sarah_ruffner
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Quoting dosthepost:

If the God she is referring to is the christian God, then you need to tell you EXACTLY who He is, or at least, who is He is said to be. I believe in God, 100%.

I agree with this.  If you want your child to make their own decisions regarding religion then she needs to know.  I believe in God 100% also, but if my children wanted to learn about other religions to choose their own, then I would read up on whatever they wanted so that they could have a clear understanding of each belief. 

By telling her what you believe God to be, you are trying to teach her your beliefs and not letting her choose on her own.  Children are influenced by what their parents teach and practice, so if you tell her that in your opinion there is a god and a goddess, you're not really letting her choose what she believes God to be.

Religion is a touchy subject.  I have family members who are atheists and my 9 year old dd has talked to them in depth about why they believe or don't believe.  She has also formed her own opinion.  We've also talked with Jehovahs Witnesses about their religious beliefs as well.

I don't think breaking out the Bible will do much good since most 7 year olds wouldn't be able to understand it...I still have problems and I'm 30..lol

Good Luck with whatever you decide to tell her. 

Daynaof3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM

May be true, but I still believe that came from God. Think Adam and Eve. Should could say God is who some people believe created the World and all that's in it, still simple.

Quoting dosthepost:

What you believe and what is true by DEFINITION are two different things. Even people who don't believe in God have a conscience.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting Daynaof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)