Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats considered cheating at school?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM
  • 18 Replies

I just wanted to get some other moms views on if they would consider this cheating or not.

My 12 yr dd who is in the 7th grade got called to the principals office the other day along with 2 other friends of hers. her 1 friend and her almost daily get togehter at either our home or her home and do their homework together. so of course most of their answers will be the same.Mind you now this is Social Studies so the answers will be in the book or in a study guide or something unlike math where as they come up with their own answers.

well their s studies teacher is accusing them of cheating and plagerism since they had the same answers.I have not talked to the principal yet but the teacher called the other day to talk to my husband and it did not go well. he basically told her she was a joke and our dd was not getting in any trouble for this

I understand cheating if they were caught copying each others homework at school or plagerism if it was a report or something like that but just to be doing homework together is ludacris...I talked to the other girls mother(who is a substitute teacher at our school) and she is livid. She told me she saw teh paper and it was one done at her home at her dining room table by teh girls with her  home.

im not sure where teh 3rd girl comes into play .But i told my dd teh next time the teacher gives them a definition ask her to put it in her own words because that is plagerism.she took it from Webster.

Im not sure where this is going yet but teh teacher told my husband that she is pursuing this.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beckygeiger
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I think if they are getting together and comparing notes while doing their homework that is not cheating. Not doing it at all then quick copying your friends before school is cheating.

JADIEBUG
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

How is copying the same answers at school cheating and doing the same at home not? They should be putting their answers in their own words all the time. It is easy to tell when 2 students have the exact same wording on answers that they are working together.

trz031407

I mean, unless that other girl was copying their homework, that's the only reason I can think.

I used to do that, go into school & be like 'oh shit ! i fucking forgot the math assignment!' & grab someone in my classes paper & jot it all down on another sheet for me (usually like in the cafeteria for breakfast) then wah-la, I had my homework done. I never got caught though...

But, yea, I am sorry your DD is getting in trouble, it should be the other girl.

kat478

Quoting beckygeiger:

I think if they are getting together and comparing notes while doing their homework that is not cheating. Not doing it at all then quick copying your friends before school is cheating.

My point exactly.. they do at one of our homes together sometimes using the internet if they have trouble finding the answer,NOT at school.

JADIEBUG
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

But if their wording is EXACTLY the same it is cheating. It needs to be in their  own words.

Quoting kat478:

Quoting beckygeiger:

My point exactly.. they do at one of our homes together sometimes using the internet if they have trouble finding the answer,NOT at school.

themountainmama

That is considered cheating by plagerism in most schools today.   

tha-hawt-mommie

Wow ... w/ s.studies & getting the same answers out the book , thats not cheating (atleast to me) ... when my teacher (in every grade) would go over answers he would let the person answer than ask if anyone had anything different ... usually we didnt , bc the answer came from the book. but some worded it differently ... maybe thats what s/he wants? idk 

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

*Do you love hip-hop music? Come join my hip-hop hunnies group & keep hip-hop alive!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hip-hop-hunnies

ashleyandjames
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

What a waste of time! Doesn't your daughters teacher have anything better to do than harass students! No, this isn't cheating, I am in college and I have a study group, we often compare answers and sometimes we solve problems together so we do have exactly the same answers...big deal! I am sorry that her teacher is making a big deal out of nothing...however, I would maybe try to get more information because maybe there is more to the situation that you don't know about...like where this other girl fits in...? dunno but it may be worth looking into some more.

kat478
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Quoting JADIEBUG:

How is copying the same answers at school cheating and doing the same at home not? They should be putting their answers in their own words all the time. It is easy to tell when 2 students have the exact same wording on answers that they are working together.

They are Not copying the same answers..If the answere is the NILE  then thats the answer how are they going to write it differently.And how are they going to write it any different completley change the name of the river???

trz031407
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Quoting kat478:

Quoting JADIEBUG:

They are Not copying the same answers..If the answere is the NILE  then thats the answer how are they going to write it differently.And how are they going to write it any different completley change the name of the river???

Yea... I totally want to homeschool. I can't believe how much B.S. I see on here about schools now of days.
What a crock. Like I said before, the other girl should get in trouble because your daughter was being supervised when she did her homework. The other girl was not even there. Dee-dee-dee Teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)