Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swine flu confirmed in my daughters school. Should I send her? ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is in PM kindergarten and I'm not sure if I should send her today. There are a couple of confirmed cases of H1N1 at her elementary school now and it scares the HECK out of me. Mostly because her younger sister has a weakened immune system (actually an immune deficiency) and I worry about her bringing the virus home and our younger one catching it (Of course I worry about my older one, too- but she seems to have a nice strong immune system). Also we live in a very rural area and have not been able to get them to H1N1 vaccine or even the seasonal flu shot due to the shortage. So they have no protection right now. What do you guys think? Would you send your kids in this situation? Thanks for the advice...

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy3188
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I would keep her home!! Better safe then sorry...

peanutsmommy1
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM

there have been 4 confirmed cases in my sons preschool and I have sent him every day. By the time a child shows symptoms and is diagnosed, they have most likely been in school and contageous, so it essence it is too late by the time the child has a confirmed case

CamdensMom12
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I agree with this....why risk it, she's in kindergarten not 6th grade so she won't be missing too much. Good luck! :)

Quoting Mommy3188:

acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Honestly I would send her. She's already been exposed. 

Joy316
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Unfortunatly, your dd has already been exposed and probably brought it home.  Just send her to school and let her ride it out.  My dh has had h1n1 for three weeks and aslong as you sleep alot and get plenty of fluids, which he didn't do, you will be fine.  If your younger child gets it, take them to the Doc ASAP.  There is a med that can weaken the virus but it has to be taken within 48 hours of the first symtoms.

orange4agua72
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM

She's already been exposed! I'd just keep sending her, sorry mama, but it's too late now! 

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Wow, the hysteria.  My dd had it and was just fine.  Everyone isn't dying from it or even super sick.  No one in our home even got it from her.  There will be swine in the school probably from now until spring. 

luvmygirls-rdkr
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Really, your kid has already been exposed so going or not going will not change anything.  I just got over having the swine flu.  IT SUCKED but like my doc said, you were exposed at least 4 days before you got sick.  keeping your kid home will just keep her away from her friends and whatever they might do today.  it won't change her exposure level.

SamanthaLarae
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

This!!

Quoting CamdensMom12:

I agree with this....why risk it, she's in kindergarten not 6th grade so she won't be missing too much. Good luck! :)

Quoting Mommy3188:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
ginaloves3
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I recently found out from a parent that my dd's school has had alot of cases! I was angry and scared hearing that, because the school never mentioned anything. Anyway i have still sent her to school . Shes in 3rd gr. I am just as fearful as you when it comes down to it. But as the school told me , its the flu, a difrent strain yes, but would you pull your kids for the whole flu season, no. Its confusing I know. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)