Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pull ups vs. diapers

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so my son is by no means potty trained. He's only 15 months and has recently become very fascinated by sitting on the toilet. We got him his own potty and he is constantly going in there and sitting on the toilet. If his diaper is still on him he'll sit there and potty in his diaper. If you're lucky enough to get there before he sits down and take his diaper off, he'll usually go to the potty although sometimes he just wants to sit there. I'm debating getting him some pull ups bc it would be easier to pull them up and down when he goes to the bathroom vs. constantly having to un velcro the diaper, pull it off, and then catch him before he runs away naked to pu the diaper back on. What do you think?

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jenniepepsi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM

let him go nakked :) thats what i did for a while and it helps.

lolamac
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I am not a fan of pull ups at all...to me they are the same thing as diapers and a waste of money. I used training undies (cloth) and rubber 'undies' that go over them.

I have two children that I have 'potty trained' (I hate that phrase) and my first son was pt'd in a weekend, no accidents at all....no pullups used.

My second son was a bit different (I was going through a divorce and he was confused, plus his father's day  care provider would not let him attend, unless he was in pull ups....she did not use them correctly and it took almost a year to pt him.

I think at that age it is good to introduce him to the potty, but dont' be surprised if he doesn't take to it. It is a biological thing and once their body's are ready, they will be too, and they'll let you know.  

Lovingit2908
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:09 PM

My daughter will be 2 in Dec and is just like that. She will tell me she has to go pee and sometimes she will go and sometimes she just sits there.Most of the time just sits on the potty. I have gotten her pull ups and to her they are just like diapers. Im still trying thou.

SouthALMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM

The idea behind me getting pull ups/training pants is that it would be easier on ME to get him dressed to run around the house. He doesn't say many words so I'm not real cool with him running around naked since he cannot tell me he needs to go to the bathroom. The potty stays in the bathroom and he's not allowed in there by himself due to the fact that he loves water (tub and toilet). I have not child proofed my house due to the fact that he needs to learn what he can and cannot do but water is his huge temptation and he so far has refused to learn to not play with it in one spot and have the right to play with it some other place and time (i.e. taking a bath and being able to play vs. being fully dressed and getting in the tub and turning the water on).

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM

The little girl I watch loves to sit on the potty but neither her mom or myself are ready to potty train her so yes, she wears pull ups here (for some reason her mom thinks it's easier to take the diaper on and off, not me!) and it works well for us.  I think they are the perfect solution for a child who wants to sit on the potty but is not actually training.

Oh, and if you keep him out of the bathroom how about a small potty you can leave in the living room for him?

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I personally don't like pull ups because they don't hold as much as a diaper.  But if he's not a heavy wetter, do what is easier for you. 

SouthALMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I'm a little afraid to let him bring his potty in here in the living room for two reasons. The first is the dogs. The other is that I don't want him to think he's supposed to use the bathroom in the living room. (Now or later on)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The little girl I watch loves to sit on the potty but neither her mom or myself are ready to potty train her so yes, she wears pull ups here (for some reason her mom thinks it's easier to take the diaper on and off, not me!) and it works well for us.  I think they are the perfect solution for a child who wants to sit on the potty but is not actually training.

Oh, and if you keep him out of the bathroom how about a small potty you can leave in the living room for him?

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

The dogs might be an issue but my son has never had a problem with having a potty in the living room.  He still understands that pee goes in the potty and wherever the potty is that's where it goes!  I used to have one in the living room because he didn't want to leave and go in the bathroom to go potty.  I moved it back in there without an issue from him.

Quoting SouthALMommy:

I'm a little afraid to let him bring his potty in here in the living room for two reasons. The first is the dogs. The other is that I don't want him to think he's supposed to use the bathroom in the living room. (Now or later on)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)