Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Incident with some kids I watch, how should I handle it?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just got off the phone with one of the mom's I do after school childcare for. Apparently there was an incident at school today between her son & another girl I watch.

These kids are in 6th grade. Yesterday the boy was telling me a story about how he hit this girl in the arm at school. She apparently told the teacher & the teacher didn't do anything about it. The little boy started going on about how he's done it before & the teacher just tells the girl that she isn't going to die. Well obviously the girl I watch is mad about this & the boy is making a joke about it, so I tell them both to drop it.

Then we go outside, they were playing with my DD & everyone was racing to see who was the fastest. My DD & this boy are racing & the girl is standing at the end with both her arms out to see who the winner is. Well the boy won & ran into her arm, not really hard but he didn't just tap hand he ran into her. She wasn't hurt but she yelled at him saying he hurt her. I asked if she was okay & she said yes & I told them all the find something else to do.

Fast forward to just now. The little boy went to the office saying that this little girl was telling everyone how he hit her, trying to make it a bigger deal than it was & make ppl mad at him. Apparently she had an ace bandage on her arm, which she's done in the past just to get attention nothing serious. So I told the mom the story about everything that had happened & she said she would call the school & tell them what I told her & talk to her son tonight.

So I guess my question is, should I talk to the kids about what's going on? Should I call the other mom & get her side of things(the school called her too & according to the boys mom she isn't really concerned)? Should I just leave it alone? I was thinking about talking to them both separately but now I'm wondering if its my place. WWYD?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shyysmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

i think its really petty. i would talk to the girls mom to make sure she is ok and i would ask the little girl why she felt the need to put on an ace bandage when she knew she wasnt really hurt. she might have some emotional issues. but at the end of the day someone needs to tell that little boy to keep his hands to himself

TiredMommy6906
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM

For me, I would tell both of the moms what happened. I don't think you should tell the kids, because it's the parents jobs to do that, not yours. Telling the girl's mom what happened at your house is your place to do so. Otherwise, who'd tell her? Good luck!

princessesmomma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Quoting TiredMommy6906:

For me, I would tell both of the moms what happened. I don't think you should tell the kids, because it's the parents jobs to do that, not yours. Telling the girl's mom what happened at your house is your place to do so. Otherwise, who'd tell her? Good luck!

i agree here!

JESUS Freak, PRO birth bonding, pro LIFE,  PRO breastfeeding, PRO babywearing, PRO CO-SLEEPING, Pediatric Nurse,P/T out of house worker; F/TMommy, Military wife since 2001, Mommy to 4 Angels (1999,2000,2003,2004), Mommy to 3 Beautiful babies (2002,2004,2008), My god son rocks, and Ibelieve non-CIO! LONGING TO ADOPT (older children)! LOVING Fl!

navyNavy wife 2001   playing soccer girlDD#1 2002way to goDD#2 2004toddler girlDD#3 2008come homeDEPLOYED SINCE MAY 09

mysteriousmom06
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Quoting TiredMommy6906:

Oh the mom already knows what happened here. I just meant should I call her to discuss what happened at school today.

mysteriousmom06
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

bump

mamakenzi
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I wouldn't call her to discuss it, if she approaches you when she picks the girl up then talk to her about it.  If they can't get along at your house I would call both parents for a meeting with the kids so you can all agree on a course of action and be on the same page.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

cornucopiapilgrim1pumpkin pie

dylliebugsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I think it sounds like bullying to me on his part. His mother should be making sure he is not this way. Starting out in 6th grade hitting/or pushing on girls is wrong in every way and should be stopped immediatley. Refardless if the girl is just looking for attention..she is telling aldults what happened and they are brushing her off. I would put a stop to this as soon as possible or this boy may very well end up being one of those men who abuse women. I talk to my 5 year old about being a bully and how you never be a bully back. It must be stopped.

Biancas_mommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM

He probably has a crush on her lol...tell him if he don't keeps his hands to himself your going to tell everyone he's madly in love with her (lol Immature I know, but hey...doesn't the nanny always say to get on their level?)

mysteriousmom06
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Quoting Biancas_mommy:

He probably has a crush on her lol...tell him if he don't keeps his hands to himself your going to tell everyone he's madly in love with her (lol Immature I know, but hey...doesn't the nanny always say to get on their level?)

LOL, I don't think he would care. He's girl crazy, he names off all the girls he like in his grade & it would be a shorter list if he would name the ones he DIDN'T like.

onefootcutiepie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Sounds like Jr. High flirting. They'll be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)