Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your 7 month old has low iron, are you suppose to

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

get her iron checked again at some point or just let it be, cause she does not go back to the doctor unti january, she had her iron checked at wic last week and it was low. i am giving her similac with iron and she gets the cereal which has iron, not so much of a baby food eater, i try and try and she wants nothing to do with baby food. so now my question is do i wait until she goes back to the doctor in jan and mention that her iron was low or what? thanks

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
USMCBride08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

was it super low, or just a bit?

because at that age, its normal for them to be a bit low on iron, ds was until like, 9 months old

if its not a major deficiency, i would not worry about it =] 

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

luvmybaby430
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

not real sure, she just said that her iron as low.

Quoting USMCBride08:

because at that age, its normal for them to be a bit low on iron, ds was until like, 9 months old

halosmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I would call your dr and get it checked again just to be on the safe side. Or just call and see what he or she reccomends you to do.

My daughter is 8 months and wont eat baby food either, just baby cereal. Trying mix some cereal into te baby food make it thick like cereal. Or add a little bit of food to the cereal. Halo eats it sometimes. Good luck with getting her to eat and her iron getting up.

USMCBride08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

i think if it was really low, they'd have been more concerned =] but its actually normal.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting USMCBride08:

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

luvmybaby430
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for the tip and thanks for the advice

Quoting halosmommy:

I would call your dr and get it checked again just to be on the safe side. Or just call and see what he or she reccomends you to do.

My daughter is 8 months and wont eat baby food either, just baby cereal. Trying mix some cereal into te baby food make it thick like cereal. Or add a little bit of food to the cereal. Halo eats it sometimes. Good luck with getting her to eat and her iron getting up.

luvmybaby430
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM

yes, that is very true, thank you

Quoting USMCBride08:

i think if it was really low, they'd have been more concerned =] but its actually normal.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting USMCBride08:

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

When the baby I take care of went in for her 1st check up they told her mom she had low iron.  They told her to give her iron drops and she was rechecked a month later.  The doctor scared the mom telling her low iron can cause brain damage or something like that.  They scared her enough that when she brought her baby back to me from the appointment she was crying.  I should mention though that this baby was NOT eating iron fortified cereal and formula (she was breast fed and slow to eat foods).  Maybe you should call your doctor just to make sure it can wait until January.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)