Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice about my food & exercise regimen

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

no help from the healthy weight loss group.. go figure lol! so thought id try from the advice group.. thanks in advance.. i really need some advice on this and tips and such..

I am trying to lose about 100lbs..I just started my exercise regimen and new eating plan

This is a normal day for me:

Breakfast: 1 Cup Skim Milk + 1 packet Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials

Morning Snack: 1 Nature Valley granola bar

Lunch: Romaine lettuce + 1 slice of boars head turkey lunch meat, 1 TB fat free dressing and 1 serving of grapes

Afternoon Snack: other Nature Valley granola bar from pack and an apple

Dinner: Usually small chicken portion with cooked vegetables and/or beans/rice

I do 45 minutes on the elliptical every day.. at least 5 days a week(burning approx 600 cals a day with that)I track my calories and only consume about 1500 a day
does this sound like it will work?  I am staying very disciplined and I am very motivated, and want to lose the weight SOOO BADLY!!! I write in a journal every day, track all foods I eat, and all exercise I do.

so does it look like this plan will help me lose the weight? Or is there something i should do to change it and make it better?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I'm no expert but it looks to me like you're not consuming enough calories. Your body needs those calories it gets from the healthy foods you eat to function. You may lose weight at first but your body will go into "starvation" mode. 

dannierae
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

the gorup Work it out sexy mama is full of women who know alot about working out and eating healthy....you should check it out.

sarahbearamommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:37 PM

hmm.. i thought a normal daily was 2000, and someone else just told me i should only eat 1200.. which is way out of the question lol! im so lost hahaha

Quoting acbbsmama:

I'm no expert but it looks to me like you're not consuming enough calories. Your body needs those calories it gets from the healthy foods you eat to function. You may lose weight at first but your body will go into "starvation" mode. 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Have you talked with your doctor before beginning this plan?  You have a lot of weight to lose and I think the best plan will be with regular medical monitoring.  I don't see very much dairy in your menu.  No fruit.  Could use more whole grain and protein too.

Why the granola bar?  How about oatmeal (not instant) for breakfast?  You can make it with milk, not water, add bananas or applesauce to it.   

A good morning snack would be cottage cheese and fruit.

Lunch just screams for raw cauli or  broc and another piece of turkey or two.

Afternoon snack-apple dipped in peanut butter.

Dinner-definitely "and" not "or".  You need the grains and the veggie rather than opting for one or the other.

I think you should ask your doc for help and support with this.  GL

sarahbearamommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I do eat fruit every day.. 1 apple and 1 cup of grapes, each and every day.. some days a banana(grapes with lunch, apple afternoon snack

and i get my dairy from my milk in the morning and i occasionally put 2 TB of cheese on my salad. I get the whole grains from my granola bars, and do sometimes eat oatmeal on the weekends when i dont have to be at work so early.

Quoting themountainmama:

Have you talked with your doctor before beginning this plan?  You have a lot of weight to lose and I think the best plan will be with regular medical monitoring.  I don't see very much dairy in your menu.  No fruit.  Could use more whole grain and protein too.

Why the granola bar?  How about oatmeal (not instant) for breakfast?  You can make it with milk, not water, add bananas or applesauce to it.   

Dinner-definitely "and" not "or".  You need the grains and the veggie rather than opting for one or the other.

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Quoting sarahbearamommy:

I do eat fruit every day.. 1 apple and 1 cup of grapes, each and every day.. some days a banana(grapes with lunch, apple afternoon snack

and i get my dairy from my milk in the morning and i occasionally put 2 TB of cheese on my salad. I get the whole grains from my granola bars, and do sometimes eat oatmeal on the weekends when i dont have to be at work so early.

Quoting themountainmama:

Yes, I read your FJ.  You aren't getting 3-5 servings a day of fruits, veggies, your protein intake is down, your grains are processed.  I do not think your food choices will satisfy you nor do I think your are getting the most out of your calories.  I think this typical day FJ will set you up for failure.  Its just an opinion.  Hope it works for you.

ballewal
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

That's not enough fruit. You still need to be within the guidelines of the food pyramid for fruits and veggies if you're trying to lose weight. Try going to a website like sparkpeople and see what food choices they recommend. 

Quoting sarahbearamommy:

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM

my rules for losing weight

1) dont trust something that says its healthy, look at the packages and check for sugar levels. alot of gronola bars are very high in sugars and sometimes salts.

2) eat egg whites three times a week

3) just because wheat bread is healthy, it still has fat depending on the particular item. Always look for WHOLE GRAIN ITEMS! its the way to go!

4) switch out your exercises. your body gets used to routine and wont burn as many calories as you think because your heart rate stays the same.

monday: eliptical 45 minutes, ten minutes of weights

tuesday: 20 minutes on tread mill, 20 on the bike, ten minutes of weights.

wed: repeat monday

thursday: repeat tuesday

friday: 30 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of abs, 30-1 hr on eliptical

sat:45 minutes on eliptical 10 on bike

sunday: 45 on bike, 10 on eliptical

(do not do heavy weights, it strains your joints)

*try five pund weights in reps on 8, 6 times for each particular area that you are working.

*for machine weights do 10 pounds.

5) water down your calories. dont think that drinking water will show more weight on the scale, it helps digest fat.

6) stretch every day. this helps burn muscles while you run that you didnt even know you had!

7) your body burns calories when your heart accelerates. try doing for 4 minutes fast, two minutes slow, and then repeat over and over throughout your treadmill excercises.

8) resistancy on the eliptical burns the calories twice as fast!

9) your stomach is the size of a closed fist. eat six times a day and enough to fit in your hand 6 times a day.

10) if your body tells you that you are hungry, dont ignore it. drink a bottle of water and a few grapes, ect. not eating when your body tells you that you are hungry slows down your metabolism.

hope this helps.

i lost fourty pounds in a 4.5 month period. im not the expert but iv realized what works the best. message me if you have any questions about my particular diet plan. sorry its so long!

-michele

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

It doesn't sound like you will be eating enough.

Make those calories count! You should be having 6 SMALL meals a day. Breakfast being the most important because it jump starts your metabolism. Those instant breakfast packets are not good for you. Something better would be a piece of fruit and some yogurt, or a piece of toast with natural peanut butter etc.

Then a snack could be some carrot sticks, celery, cherry tomatoes, apple slices, salad with oil and vinegar, crackers and hummus etc. Those nature valley granola bars are NOT good for you either lol

Lunch and dinner should have a lean protein (salmon, tilapia, chunk LIGHT tuna, chicken breast, ground turkey) and they should be balanced meals. Raw veggies are basically a "free" food and you can eat them as often as you want.

If you go with the diet you have chosen, your body will go into starvation mode and you can actually GAIN weight. If you do lose weight, it will be harder to keep it off because you can't eat like this forever. If you start eating right and practicing portion control NOW, you are setting yourself up with the tools you need to be successful.

Drink lots of water and maybe do a systemic cleanse (if you're not breastfeeding)

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Quoting sarahbearamommy:

hmm.. i thought a normal daily was 2000, and someone else just told me i should only eat 1200.. which is way out of the question lol! im so lost hahaha

Quoting acbbsmama:

it isnt even about calories. you have to burn what you eat. and instead of watching calories just watch fat grams. try not to have any. and sugars and salts. cute those three out and you will lose weight. its a common mistake for people to base a diet on calories, and like i said before.. if your body tells you that you are hungry, feed it.. trying to go off calories could slow down your metabolism. and that causes bing eating. do what feels right. but start with six meals, low in sugars, salts, and fat grams, and enough to fit in your hand.. with a bottle of water, no sugar juices, and skim milk. also, a 2000 calorie diet is based on a normal person with a normal metabolism that is healthy. not including after baby metabolism, and losing weight, and any of bodily conditions a person might have. but you cannot go off of a 1200 or 1000 calorie diet either because everyone weighs differently and burns things differently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)