Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tap shoes question-edit in one of my replies. thanks for reading.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

My dd is taking tap.  The studio door is about 20 feet from the car.  It seems fine to me for her to wear her tap shoes into the class, but the teacher says it is not good or the shoes.  Wondering if you mamas who've danced or have daughters that do, if you/your daughters wear their tap shoes from the car to class or change in class.  I don't mind the shoes wearing out sooner than later.  I have no problem replacing the shoes so just wondering what you do. TIA

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I have danced my entire life and i would recommend to not let them wear their shoes out of class. not only does it save you money, keeps the shoes looking decent for recitals, and keeps the dance floors clean, it teaches children how to respinsibility to grab their bag of things they will need, and how to care for their personal items.

at our dance studio, bags and regular shoes had to be kept in a separate room and now that i teach dance and clean up afterwards i see it goes a long way of having only shoes that touch the floors of the studio in the dance class.

acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I took dance classes for several years as a child and we always had to bring our shoes instead of wearing them into class. 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Quoting smiley_mylie:

I have danced my entire life and i would recommend to not let them wear their shoes out of class. not only does it save you money, keeps the shoes looking decent for recitals, and keeps the dance floors clean, it teaches children how to respinsibility to grab their bag of things they will need, and how to care for their personal items.

at our dance studio, bags and regular shoes had to be kept in a separate room and now that i teach dance and clean up afterwards i see it goes a long way of having only shoes that touch the floors of the studio in the dance class.

Thank you.  My daughter has cerebral palsy.  She takes adaptive dance.  The opens at 3pm which is when class starts.  It is over at 3:45.  My daughter spends the first 10 minutes of class getting on the floor, changing shoes, getting up again.  She must stop 10 minutes early to get changed again.  There is no break between classes.  The class after hers starts at 3:45.  My dd doesn't carry her own bag.  She cares for her personal items appropriately given her medical issues.  I just want my daughter to get as much as she can out of this class that has changed her life.  Her shoes are about $65.00.  I would pay that every few months if it would afford her more time on the dance floor.  Thanks for explaining your studio's procedures to me. 

edit: do you think it would be unreasonable for someone to ask you for an exception?  I could make elasticized cloth covers to put over the shoes, slip them off once inside.  Thanks for your time on this. 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

Thank you.  My daughter has cerebral palsy.  She takes adaptive dance.  The opens at 3pm which is when class starts.  It is over at 3:45.  My daughter spends the first 10 minutes of class getting on the floor, changing shoes, getting up again.  She must stop 10 minutes early to get changed again.  There is no break between classes.  The class after hers starts at 3:45.  My dd doesn't carry her own bag.  She cares for her personal items appropriately given her medical issues.  I just want my daughter to get as much as she can out of this class that has changed her life.  Her shoes are about $65.00.  I would pay that every few months if it would afford her more time on the dance floor.  Thanks for explaining your studio's procedures to me. 

edit: do you think it would be unreasonable for someone to ask you for an exception?  I could make elasticized cloth covers to put over the shoes, slip them off once inside.  Thanks for your time on this. 

acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

I think the elasticized cloth covers are an excellent idea!

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

i danced with a girl growing up that showed me what truely being blessed is. She was never even supposed to walk and ill never forget how beautiful she looked when she danced her senior year dance solo at recital. I think it is absolutely amazing that you have entered your daughter in dance to help her. If i were your teacher, i wouldnt have even said anything. I would write her a letter or you could talk to her in the office alone. Slip covers would be good but then if its raining she could slip or make a mess, ya know. Just explain to them whats going on. As me teaching now, i have students that have exceptional things that they need to do. i hated dancing and having my teachers not letting me slide the rules for something silly because of scheduling. especially since you do not care about replacing them, just tell them that it wont be a problem and if she notices that she is needing new shoes, or whatever she needs to be active and appropriate in class to let you know. tap shoes are alot more durable on concrete and grass than ballet or jazz shoes. the teacher should understand.

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quoting acbbsmama:

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

I think the elasticized cloth covers are an excellent idea!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I think I'll ask next class. 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Quoting smiley_mylie:

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

i danced with a girl growing up that showed me what truely being blessed is. She was never even supposed to walk and ill never forget how beautiful she looked when she danced her senior year dance solo at recital. I think it is absolutely amazing that you have entered your daughter in dance to help her. If i were your teacher, i wouldnt have even said anything. I would write her a letter or you could talk to her in the office alone. Slip covers would be good but then if its raining she could slip or make a mess, ya know. Just explain to them whats going on. As me teaching now, i have students that have exceptional things that they need to do. i hated dancing and having my teachers not letting me slide the rules for something silly because of scheduling. especially since you do not care about replacing them, just tell them that it wont be a problem and if she notices that she is needing new shoes, or whatever she needs to be active and appropriate in class to let you know. tap shoes are alot more durable on concrete and grass than ballet or jazz shoes. the teacher should understand.

Thanks.  I don't know what it is about movement to music, but it stimulates little accessed parts of the brain.  My daughter can sing and move to movement better than she can speak and walk (with a walker).  It is amazing!  I think our teacher was probably wanting to spare my pocketbook more than being fussy about the studio.  I'm going to ask her about covers.  I do sew, so I think I can come up with a cover that is fairly durable, picnic table material (cloth lined plastic) or something like that.  Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM

oh i have a good idea. this could possibly work depending on how thick her tap shoes are. take her to walmart with obn eof the tap shoes and try on a pair of CROCS. they are the plastice shoes that have a covering that goes over the heal or it can be folded up. you might know what they are already. i would by them a little big to slide over her regular shoes. that way no matter what the climate is she will have shoes on that wont get wet, muddy, ect. and can still have her tap shoes on. they are also great for every day play. i used to wear them over my ballet shoes coming from HS ballet to the dance studio because i didnt want to change.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

Quoting themountainmama:

Quoting smiley_mylie:

Thanks.  I don't know what it is about movement to music, but it stimulates little accessed parts of the brain.  My daughter can sing and move to movement better than she can speak and walk (with a walker).  It is amazing!  I think our teacher was probably wanting to spare my pocketbook more than being fussy about the studio.  I'm going to ask her about covers.  I do sew, so I think I can come up with a cover that is fairly durable, picnic table material (cloth lined plastic) or something like that.  Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

ha, yes theres always a way. i think music is the best way to teach anything. if you think about it, why is it that people can remember every lyric to every song on the radio but they cant remember history facts.. because music stimulates the brain to interact and its natural.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)