Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this look tacky? poll and pics

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: Do painted brick houses look tacky?

Options:

yes

no

depends on the color scheme

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 64

View Results

My husband and I are fixing up our house to sell at some point We live in a historic district in southern ohio. Our house was built in 1874. It is brick. My question is, do you think painting the brick would look tacky? The lookof our brick is not very attractive due to wear and tear, the flood from the 1940's, and the recent backlash from hurricane ike (sept of '08). And we considered painting it maybe a sky blue with white window and door trim (not like any I listed here though). I don't have any pics of my house on here and I have to go through the historical committee to even see if this is possible, but I don't think it will be a problem considering our neighbor 3 houses down just recently did this to sell her home, and it worked! We could restore our home's original brick color, but it would cost more than what we are wanting to spend. So help me out ladies, do you think painted brick houses look tacky? (none of these are my house, these are just examples of painted brick houses, although our house has the same historic look as the first one w/o the porch)

(if our brick looked as good as the one on the right, we wouldn't want to paint it lol)

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USMCBride08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM

*I* dont like them. but i Love the brick look lol 

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

Brenna
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

My inlaws had a dark red brick house.  They painted it grey with black and white trim.  It was gorgeous.  Just be aware, it's HARD work!  My husband has scars all over his knuckles from scraping the bricks.

behappilyever
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

i like the brick look too! but its to the point now where our bricks look worn out. like ruins lol

Quoting USMCBride08:

*I* dont like them. but i Love the brick look lol 

behappilyever
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM

lol, noted :)

Quoting Brenna:

My inlaws had a dark red brick house.  They painted it grey with black and white trim.  It was gorgeous.  Just be aware, it's HARD work!  My husband has scars all over his knuckles from scraping the bricks.

mommyk5
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I think it looks ok if it is done in tasteful colors and done right.  I love brick, but you are right if the brick is not in good condition, then that looks worse than painted brick.  Good Luck! :)

Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I would try to keep it looking like brick. I am not crazy about the paint.  Although, I wouldn't mind one of those houses painted or not.

behappilyever
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

thank you! and even the trim paint is starting to chip. i would just repaint the trim but then we would have these nicely painted parts with crappy brick lol i had just never considered painting brick until i talked to my (soon to be ex cuz she sold her house) neighbor.

Quoting mommyk5:

I think it looks ok if it is done in tasteful colors and done right.  I love brick, but you are right if the brick is not in good condition, then that looks worse than painted brick.  Good Luck! :)

behappilyever
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

that's what i would like to do, but even the brick doesn't look like decent brick anymore. its faded and looks worn out with actually being worn out. if that makes sense. the house and composition of the bricks are in really good shape, they just need touched up and the cost to "repair" bricks is way more than we want to spend. it's still an option though, and our only one if the committee turns us down lol

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I would try to keep it looking like brick. I am not crazy about the paint.  Although, I wouldn't mind one of those houses painted or not.

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I agree. When we were house hunting we looked at one that was painted white. It wasn't entirely unsightful, pretty even... just not my taste.

Quoting mommyk5:

behappilyever
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

thank you for the input :) i will try to post pics of my house later. maybe i'm crazy and it will actually look fine just painting the trim, and if so you all are more than welcome to tell me so lol

Quoting dosthepost:

I agree. When we were house hunting we looked at one that was painted white. It wasn't entirely unsightful, pretty even... just not my taste.

Quoting mommyk5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)