Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just was reading..

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

The how broke are you post and it gave me an idea. Christmas is always expensive I thought maybe we moms could help other moms out by coming up with great inexpensive (or possibly free) gifts for xmas!

One idea ( depending on childs age) I came up with is to save card board boxes ( or find someone who has some) get some paint and duct tape ( or tape that will hold good) from a dollar store and build a little club house for your child. Paint windows and the roof stuff to make it look like a house or club house.

Get on craigslist and go through the free section you'll be amazed at what you find for free sometimes. I found a little boys bike on there I had no need for it so never got it BUT that doesn't mean you may not! You could always get something like that clean it up give it a new paint job with some spray paint and it's as good as it ever was.

Go to goodwill store thrift shops thy always have nifty things! I go there all the time to see what they have. Some of the toys are practically brand new and my son loves them the same as any new toys he gets.

Anyhow, Just wanted to share some ideas for everyone! These are things I would do if I need to. If anyone else has any ideas like this please feel free to post them so the families that think they aren't able to afford x,as for their kids can still have a good xmas after all.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Shaunalynn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM

These are great ideas. Children don't need all the fancy new toys that parents often feel pressured to buy. In fact, children are much happier with simple toys and celebrations.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Those are great ideas.  I have a friend that painted a beautiful playhouse out of a cardboard box. 

jmetz4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

For my son we gave him an old dollar store pot that had scraps through the non stick coating and a spoon. Drives us nuts some times but keeps him amused.

When he was a newborn all of the rattles disappeared. My mom took an old asprin bottle with the child proof top and filled it with rice. Even after we found the other rattles it was still his favorite. (She took the lable off too so it didn't look like we were just handing him a bottle of pills.)

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM

last christmas my daughter was very interested in drawing. we have a starewell that she would always throw toys over into the lower part of the house. i took card board and five foot paper and measured and glued the paper to the cardboard and then used a hole punch and ribbon to tie it to the banister of the stairs. i did the white paper on both sides of the cardboard so when you walked up the stairs it just looked like a wall in front of the banister. then she couldnt throw anything over, or wonder what was on the other side. then i took ribbon and taped it to the back and made the ribbons long enough for her to grab and super glued the ribbon around ten different extra large fun colored crayons and duck taped them to the back of the card board. I painted "Mylies wall of LoVe" on the poster so now when kids come over they can enjoy playing and coloring together. We get people to sign their names so one day she will be able to see how many people love her, and she will always have a memory of them. also we started doing her hand prints on her birthday and started keeping tract of her height on one end. whats neat is it can be untied and taken anywhere with us if we ever move and folded into three pieces to always have her beautiful art work for her to see later. and since it was so big and she was so little she was so surprised how different her play room looked on christmas!

Eadanu
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

OMG Iforgot about the cardboard boxes my 2 boys would Love that. Thanks a bunch. I joined the local Freecycle and there are people giving all sorts of stuff away. Everything from cloths to toys to furniture. And if you have some stuff you want to get rid off it makes a great place to do it.

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

My stadegy for Christmas was one my co-worker used. I assemble the essential things and give those at Christmas time as well. Socks, undies, jammies,all the regular household items I buy each month: I wrap up everything!

I like the paper mache flexibility and imagination for adding pizzaz to the christmas morning gift pile: wearable cars, airplanes, busses stuff the little ones can have a creative good imagination play in.

The cardboard house is excellant.

The main thing I also do is to hide EVERYTHING until the kids are asleep on Christmas Eve. The excitement of Christmas morning is one of the best "gifts" of all and pulling that off every year made the biggest impression on my kid.

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

My daughter is most likely only getting a couple of toys this year, and I might get creative... but it's no loss to her. She's 20 months old, she'd rather run in circles around the tree.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

also cardboard boxes could be made into a puppet station. get your old buttons a marker, ribbon, old fabrics and make some cool puppets. kids love seeing parents play imagination.

you could also make a car out of the cardboard boxes. my daughter would love that. make a steering wheel out of card board and duck tape and ribbon. let them make the honking and vroom vroom noises. and let them take their babies and bears for rides.

OwensMommy159
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

good idea with the puppet station! I didnt even think of that!

Quoting smiley_mylie:

also cardboard boxes could be made into a puppet station. get your old buttons a marker, ribbon, old fabrics and make some cool puppets. kids love seeing parents play imagination.

you could also make a car out of the cardboard boxes. my daughter would love that. make a steering wheel out of card board and duck tape and ribbon. let them make the honking and vroom vroom noises. and let them take their babies and bears for rides.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)