Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is bored...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

i need ideas on what to do with my son during the day, i feel like he is getting bored and i want to do some activities with him where he can learn but play also. He is 21 months. Any ideas or tips would be great!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ljensen09
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM

bump

charlene_kyle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Flashcards, Playdoh, coloring, finger paint, Puzzles (you can make your own), books, We cut out shapes on constuction paper and write the color and shape on it. Hope this helps a little.

Nenasam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Library, or (children story times at the library, you need to call them to ask for schedule), play-town in the mall, play-date here and there since winter is coming.. puzzle is a good game, flash card, ..

Hope these helps !!

rkoloms
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM

The world is a great classroom, filled with sights, sounds, textures, etc. Just go places! Ride bus, go to a museum, walk in a park, etc. Libraries often have toddler activities. Check a local parenting magazine; if you are in the Chicago metro area: www.chicagoparent.com

Robin in Chicago

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM

pain with pudding(mix pudding with little milk ) let him fingerpaint with it.

make shapes and let him decorate them.Cut out a big shape~tear up different color paper and give him some glue let him go to town.Remeber to display his art work

everyday choose a color of the day.All day point out everything you see that is Red, have him color or paint using Red, wear a red shirt,draw red shapes teach him the shape names,go outside and find Red things.

when driving in the car sing the ABCs, point out shapes on signs, point out different color cars.when you offer him food Say  would you like a Orange carrot, how about a drink Of White milk.Cut his sandwiches in shapes

when you are walking Count the number of steps you take outloud~he will mimickpoint out the shapes of his cup, any household things,

get a large pastic box fill it with oatmeal,maybe some twigs, cotton balls, teach him texture by having him feel each item.Also cornmeal is cheap and can be used as sand inside.put down an old plastci table cloth fill a container with  cornmeal  and give him sand toys,small cars, plastic cups, etc

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

stahlygirls5
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:31 AM

sadly i didn't have a son that i was hoping for but i read to my 2 daughters and the i go to the park  and let them play and i found a place i take my kids to play and they love it, try to found place that has a kids place were your son can have fun and he can meet new kids too  

tmfanning
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:41 PM

If you are able to afford it, get him some toy musical instruments, along with the musical books by The Playdate Kids. He will learn, exercise and giggle.

http://www.theplaydatekids.com

Waycross48
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Hello from Nana Judy - of course there are the usual activities you can do with a 21 mo old.  I stayed home for 9 years after the birth of my second child - the first was 2 1/2 when the second came.  We did things like going to the park, to the beach to play in the sand.  On our Florida beaches, you can dig a hole in the sand and it immediately fills with water - a perfect little pool to dig and play in.  But, it's getting cold now - so that's out.  As another reader said - most malls now have play enclosures that my  2 year old niece just loves; then we visit a "Hands on Children's Museum where there are all sorts of things to crawl on and play.  We especially loved going to the park or a playground.  It's important at this age for you to begin to teach your son to play by himself when you're at home.  He should be spending periods of time playing alone while you are doing something else.  He may be good at this already but some children - especially those alone all day with Mom, tend to be a bit demanding and become acustomed to using Mom as a playmate.  So, get him involved in an interesting activity and then quietly walk away and allow him to play by himself.    I'm NOT saying not to play with him, but he should not be demanding all of your time and attention each day.    One thing you can try - kids at his age love ROUTINE!!  They love knowing what is going to happen each day.  Try  planning playtimes on a sort of schedule - not to the point that it becomes more trouble than it's worth.  After breakfast - plan a time for the two of you to do something that he could NOT do aline - - like Play Doh, finger painting, etc.  I did this with my grandchildren at this same age and they loved it.  You CANNOT leave them alone with an activity like this, but kids do love it.  After his nap, have another play time - where you help him get started with building blocks or something where he can use his imagination and use this opportunity to leave him to play alone for a while.  Another idea - most cities have a MOPS program (Mother's Of Pre Schooler's) - this is a support/play group for stay at home moms where they can go and talk to each other and allow their children to play with each other.  We had  a MOPS group that used our Sunday School building (they had nothing whatever to do with any particular religion - they simply used our building for their meeting).  The mother's loved it.  So, check online or in the phone book for a MOPS group.  Being a stay at home mom to a 2 year old is not easy.  It was especiallly difficult for me having two so close together, but I had a best friend who also didn't work and we took our kids to places together - which made it so much easier and a lot of fun for us and the kids.  My very best to you!!!  God Bless you, Nana Judy

Waycross48

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)