Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son has swine flu...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 30 Replies

I feel so bad for my son, today is his second birthday and he had to go to ER because he has been running a temp at 102.4 and has a bad cough, sneezing and runny nose. While at the hospital, they tested him for swine flu and it came back positive.

I am scared to death right now because many have died and I don't want to lose my little boy. We also have a 3 month old and I pray she doesn't get sick. What is worse is my Husband is deployed and I told him and he is a nervous wreck right now, but I told him the doctors said everything should be fine.

So I am asking for everyone to please pray that Brandon gets well very quickly and for his temperature to drop.

The doctors told me to basically treat it like the flu and watch his breathing. I have been giving him tylenol and motrin since last night and it hasn't lowered his temp at all.

I feel so bad because it's his birthday and he can't even enjoy it. He is so weak because he wont eat and I am giving him as much fluids as possible, but I am just going to let him sleep.

So like I said, please everyone pray that he gets well fast and I have faith that everyhting is going to be ok.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AProsser
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

We will keep you in our prayers. All will be OK just keep your faith. Keep us posted.

My2J.A.P.s
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Happy Birthday to your little man!  He'll be okay, mama, you did the right thing taking him in early.  Also wanted to add that a swine flu positive result cannot come back that quickly... they take a few days.  Most hospitals are treating any flu-like symptoms as the swine flu - a "better safe than sorry" attitude.  Keep doing what you're doing and if he becomes lethargic, take him back to the hospital as he may need IV fluids.  Best of luck and hang in there!

SHELL28
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM

i will say a prayer...

my daughter and son had it in sept...and they came out of it just fine...just continue to do what your doing momma and he will be fine! i lysoled everything and made everyone use hand sanitizer...

did they give him medicine? Tamiflu?

318thArmyWife
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Quoting SHELL28:

i will say a prayer...

my daughter and son had it in sept...and they came out of it just fine...just continue to do what your doing momma and he will be fine! i lysoled everything and made everyone use hand sanitizer...

did they give him medicine? Tamiflu?

No, they just told me to give him tylenol and motrin.

bstormsfl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM

That is scary. I will pray that he gets better fast. and Happy bday to him. Keep us updated! Try a lukewarm bath and some childrens motrin for the fever, you can alternate that with the tylenol. GL

mommy9
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Prayers going up.  If it makes you feel any better, 9 of my kids and my DH all came through swine flu and are fine.  Watch them and pray lots. 

Oliviasmom66
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Will be praying for all of you!

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I think you need to calm down... seriously. A fever of 102 is no reason for an ER visit, so you started this whole thing in a VERY stressful way! Just, calm down. Treat it like any other illness, and if he has trouble breathing or a fever over 105 THEN start worrying. I'm sorry, I know it's stressful, my daughter had it in May. She ended up with Pneumonia and a fever of 106 BUT she's alive and well today. And better for it, she has some natural immunity to that strain. Good luck, and keep an eye on him, but stressing when you don't need to isn't good for you OR him.

mommam58122
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Quoting dosthepost:

I think you need to calm down... seriously. A fever of 102 is no reason for an ER visit, so you started this whole thing in a VERY stressful way! Just, calm down. Treat it like any other illness, and if he has trouble breathing or a fever over 105 THEN start worrying. I'm sorry, I know it's stressful, my daughter had it in May. She ended up with Pneumonia and a fever of 106 BUT she's alive and well today. And better for it, she has some natural immunity to that strain. Good luck, and keep an eye on him, but stressing when you don't need to isn't good for you OR him.

im sorry but when is 102 not an er temperature? if my child got that high i sure as hell would be taking her to the er if you wait till 105 your child could have seizures i know someone who did that to their child let them lay around the house wiht 105 temp for 3 days straight and now her dd has seizure problems and was told its because she waited to long to take her dd to the er

Follow me join my groups No Backing down momma's

dosthepost
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Quoting mommam58122:

Quoting dosthepost:

im sorry but when is 102 not an er temperature? if my child got that high i sure as hell would be taking her to the er if you wait till 105 your child could have seizures i know someone who did that to their child let them lay around the house wiht 105 temp for 3 days straight and now her dd has seizure problems and was told its because she waited to long to take her dd to the er

Any fever under 105 isn't ER worth, UNLESS you feel that your has an underlying problem such as an infection, etc. Under 105 it's doing it's job. Under 103 you are actually supposed to let it be. Fevers are our natural defense system. They KILL virus'. Here is a chart to better describe what I'm trying to get across.

Fever Myths and Facts

Misconceptions about the dangers of fever are commonplace. Unwarranted fears about harmful side effects from fever cause lost sleep and unnecessary stress for many parents. Let the following facts help you put fever into perspective:

MYTH: All fevers are bad for children.

FACT: Fevers turn on the body's immune system. Fevers are one of the body's protective mechanisms.

Most fevers are good for sick children and help the body fight infection. The exception is babies less than 3 months of age. They should be seen by a healthcare provider right away. Use the following definitions to help put your child's level of fever into perspective:

100°F to 102°F Low-grade fever: Beneficial. Try
(37.8°C to 39°C) to keep the fever in this range.

102°F to 104°F Moderate-grade fever: Beneficial.
(39°C to 40°C)

Over 104°F High fever: Causes discomfort, but
(40°C) is harmless.

Over 105°F High fever: Higher risk of
(40.6°C) bacterial infections.

Over 108°F Serious fever: The fever itself can
(42°C) be harmful.

MYTH: Fevers cause brain damage or fevers over 104°F (40°C) are dangerous.

FACT: Fevers with infections don't cause brain damage. Only body temperatures over 108°F (42°C) can cause brain damage. The body temperature goes this high only with extreme environmental temperatures (for example, if a child is confined in a closed car in hot weather).

MYTH: Anyone can have a febrile seizure (seizure triggered by fever).

FACT: Only 4% of children have a febrile seizures.

MYTH: Febrile seizures are harmful.

FACT: Febrile seizures are scary to watch, but they usually stop within 5 minutes. They cause no permanent harm. Children who have had febrile seizures do not have a greater risk for developmental delays, learning disabilities, or seizures without fever.

MYTH: All fevers need to be treated with fever medicine.

FACT: Fevers need to be treated only if they cause discomfort. Usually that means fevers over 102°F or 103°F (39°C or 39.4°C).

MYTH: Without treatment, fevers will keep going higher.

FACT: Wrong. Because of the brain's thermostat, fevers from infection top out at 103°F to 104°F (39.4°C to 40°C). They rarely go to 105°F or 106°F (40.6°C or 41.1°C).

MYTH: With treatment, fevers should come down to normal.

FACT: With treatment, fevers usually come down 2° or 3°F (1.1° or 1.7°C).

MYTH: If the fever doesn't come down (if you can't "break the fever"), the cause is serious.

FACT: Fevers that don't respond to fever medicine can be caused by viruses or bacteria. Whether the medicine works or not doesn't relate to the seriousness of the infection.

MYTH: If the fever is high, the cause is serious.

FACT: If the fever is high, the cause may or may not be serious. If your child looks very sick, the cause is more likely to be serious.

MYTH: The exact number of the temperature is very important.

FACT: How your child looks is what's important, not the exact temperature.

MYTH: Temperatures between 98.7°F and 100°F (37.1°C to 37.8°C) are low-grade fevers.

FACT: These temperatures are normal variations. The normal temperature changes throughout the day. It peaks in the late afternoon and evening. A low-grade fever is 100°F to 102°F (37.8°C to 39°C).

MYTH: Feed a cold, starve a fever.

FACT: This old saying should be ignored. Fevers cause the body to lose fluids through sweating and breathing. Children with fevers need lots of fluids. Children with a fever may or may not be hungry for food. If they are hungry, offer the food that they choose. It is helpful to do so.

Reading Temperatures

• A reading of 99.4°F (37.4°C) is the average rectal temperature. It normally can change from 98.4°F (36.9°C) in the morning to a high of 100.3°F (37.9°C) in the late afternoon.
  • A reading of 97.6°F (36.5°C) is just the average oral temperature. It normally can change from a low of 95.8°F (35.5°C) in the morning to a high of 99.5°F (37.5°C) in the late afternoon.
This information was taken from a pediatric hospital website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)