Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me understand!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

they are holding a swine flu vaccine clinic in our area tomorrow but the only people they are vaccinating are 2-4 yr olds and caretakers of those under 6 months.  why not school age children, it seems to me they should be able to get it as well.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Upinyourface
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM

You can probably find out with a few phone calls where to get the vaccines for your age group of interest.

The priority system is in place due to some populations being more vunerable than others.

leeleesboys
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

here where I live they had a clinic to give the shot out. My friend took her 10 year old and her 6 month to get the shot. I dont know why they are only giving it to the young only hmm weird. good luck with this. Wish I could be more help.

mz_erica03
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Yeah I'm not understanding that either so here's a bump for you.

canthaveboys1
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Where I live they took them into the school, and had to have consent forms. I did not sign them. I will not sign them. They did our area, ages 60+ and caregivers for infant and elderly first.  

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

They are giving shots to those who are at the greatest risk for complications first... and very young children are a high risk group. School aged children will be able to get it eventually but they want the younger ones to get it first.

mnmomaof4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

i guess it just seems weird to me.  schoolage children to me would be pretty vulnerable.  there are 6 people in our house and only 3 of us can get it.  the only one that cant the seems obviouse is our 4 month old.  but then again we are finally getting the vaccine here in the north country so who knows.   

mnmomaof4
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

i truly understand that you give it to the oldest and youngest first but what about that 6 months -2 years.  i dont know.  ive never been a believe in the flu shot (they gave it to me 2 of the 4 times i was preggo and have never been soooo sick in my life, so i pretty much refuse.)  just trying to make sense of it all.

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM

School age children are high risk for GETTING the illness but not high risk for complications like younger kids. Children under the age of 5 have a smaller airway than a child that is 8 or older... any amount of swelling in there tiny airway can cause serious breathing troubles... which is why you would want to prevent the illness in younger kids.  Younger children also dehydrate faster... you can reason with an older child on why they have to keep drinking even if they feel awful... it doesn't work well with a 2 year old.  And I would say dehydration and breathing difficulty are the main concerns with H1N1.

To keep your older kids healthy... teach them to wash there hands often when they are at school and out in public.

Have you called your clinic about the vaccine or around to other clinics? They might be giving it by appointment. 

The kids who are younger than 2 years probably have to get it from their pediatrician... they are probabaly duing flu mist at the community clinic or are using multi dose vials with contain mercury and are not for kids under the age of 2.

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

It's simple.  They don't have enough to go around so you give it to the people in high risk categories first according to a breakdown.  So if you're pregnant, chronic illnesses, & take care of young babies you'd be in, for example, group #1.  Then it would probably come to school age children then regular people.

My baby got his 1st flu shot but because they've stopped making the Seasonal one he can't get the 2nd one.  I don't know when he'll or if he'll be able to get it.   But they do have the Swine flu.

Oh & it's a different vaccine for 2 & under than it is for school age children.  They get preservative free kind.

punching                                       playing soccer boy     &         baby in sling    

Rob & Tosh since Feb '98                              Cristian                                 Jayden

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

There is not much of the vaccine so its rationed.  Only infants, toddlers, children with some sort of disorders, caregivers of infants and health care workers.  That is all they have the vaccine for at the moment.  I saw on tv another million doses should be available this week, but that isn't that much.  I don't want the vaccine.  Dd had swine and was just fine.  None of us got it from her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)