Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I have a drinking problem?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

I went to my group counseling yesterday.  And the group counselor informed us that, if we have to have a drink to get us to go to sleep at night, then you probably have a drinking problem.

Here's the thing.  Every once in a while...when I have had either a stressful day or a day where I have been doing nothing but running around,  I will have 1 glass of wine to unwind my nerves. Usually with dinner.  Wine also , for some reason, makes me sleepy.  1 drink will make me drowsy ( a few hr's later. The effects of wine takes a while to hit me. its like eating turkey.) Wine is the only drink that will do that to me.  ( again its not every night)

Anyways... I don't think its a problem.  Its not that I drink every day.  I rarely go out and have a drink.  I am able to go to a bar with friends and not even feel temped to drink if I don't want to. So how does that make me have a problem?  I can control myself around alcohol.  I never go over board.  When I go to a restaurant... I will sometimes have a drink...but Never more than one..and its not every time I go to a restaurant.  Again..How is it that I have an alcohol problem again?  It seems to me that she thinks that anyone who drinks has an alcohol problem.  How many of you  sometimes have a glass of wine before bed or with dinner? 

Just wondering.  For some reason when she was telling me this it just struck a nerve.   I know there are a lot of ppl that has a problem with drinking.  And I understand the concern... But not everyone who has a drink every once in a while, has a problem.  As long as they can control themselfs and not over indulge all the time.

.thguoht ew naht lanoisuled erom ruoy siht daer nac uoy fI

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squidsmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I think she's referring to the type of person (like my dad) who HAS to have one or two drinks a day, every day. No, it doesn't sound like you have a problem

jaysmommy04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Thank you... I just wanted to make sure I heard it correctly.

Quoting squidsmommy:

I think she's referring to the type of person (like my dad) who HAS to have one or two drinks a day, every day. No, it doesn't sound like you have a problem

MySweetOne
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Boy, if that is concidered having a drinking problem, I need to go to AA! 

jaysmommy04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

LOL

Quoting MySweetOne:

NavyWifey122305
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

no an alcoholic is someone like my friends husband. Who decided to spend all their money on alcohol everyday ( cases and bottles of liquor) who also decided the rehab the military gave him wasnt enough so he continued to drink everyday untill the military had enough and kicked his ass out.

He drank his entire pay check away along with hers he would buy 2 18 pks and 3 bottles of liquor a day and drink ALL OF IT.

big smile miniI love editing photos ! If you would like one done send me a PM big smile mini

squidsmommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

There are different kinds of alcoholics. The type that when they start drinking, they can't stop, the kind who have to have one or two drinks a day to unwind and then the ones like you described.

Quoting NavyWifey122305:

no an alcoholic is someone like my friends husband. Who decided to spend all their money on alcohol everyday ( cases and bottles of liquor) who also decided the rehab the military gave him wasnt enough so he continued to drink everyday untill the military had enough and kicked his ass out.

He drank his entire pay check away along with hers he would buy 2 18 pks and 3 bottles of liquor a day and drink ALL OF IT.

jaysmommy04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Quoting NavyWifey122305:

Yeah.. to me that's a drinking problem.... I didn't think I had one, but thought I'd better check anyways,lol

jaysmommy04
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

True ...true

Quoting squidsmommy:

There are different kinds of alcoholics. The type that when they start drinking, they can't stop, the kind who have to have one or two drinks a day to unwind and then the ones like you described.

Quoting NavyWifey122305:

Karowyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

after chasing babies around all day and dealing with a super active and strong willed 2 year old, one drink sounds pretty good to me!!!  a lot of people have a glass of wine or a beer EVERY day just out of habit...you don't have a prob unless you require a drink to deal with life, to deal with yourself...

Quoting MySweetOne:

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

People with drinking problems deny having them so much it is rediculas.

Look, if you are so worried try using other means to unwind and get to sleep just for the benefit of having options that you do not have to feel like defending.

After awhile people with drinking problems will justify all types of alcohols and all sorts of relativiely modest amounts.

Just try other means and see what helps you other than substances and then you will have one or ten more alternatives to using alcohols.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)