Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why in the world does he need a seat?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son loves trains so we are planning on taking him on Amtrak just before Christmas.  It's not a long journey, just about 45 minutes each way.  We have done it once before and the entire time he sat there looking out the window and saying "mommy, I'm on a choo choo" in awe.  It wasn't that expensive either.  So now that he's 2 he HAS to have a ticket.  Why?  He will sit on one of our laps the entire time so he can see out the window.  We'll wander old town Sac for a few hours then take another train back.  My parents want to come too so it's going to be about $80 for the 5 of us (they'll pay their way)!  My son is only $9 round trip but really...

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Sounds like airlines.  After 2 you buy a seat. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Same as on an airplane. It is for safety reasons.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I am a Non-Baby Wearing, Formula Feeding, CIO, Circumcising, Organic Eating for Food Allergies, Atheist who is a Caring, Loving and Nurturing SAHM, Wife and College Student.

youngmom33
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM

They have to start at some age, and for 9 bucks I wouldn't complain 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I am sure they do not check a birth certificate so if he isn't a huge 2 year old you might pass him off as younger.  Did he just turn 2? 

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM

What kind of safety reasons can there be on a train though?  There aren't seatbelts or anything like on an airplane!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Same as on an airplane. It is for safety reasons.

JenniL05
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM

They have to have a cut off age sometime. :) My son is three and even a year ago there is no way he would have sit still on my lap and not moved for a 45 minute train ride! :) A lot of two year olds would NEED their own seat.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Kids cant ride free till they are 20 ...... $9. is cheap.

miss_hughes
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM

they have to make their money some how. just like air planes. just like at the zoo, and everything else you do. they have to have an age limit somewhere. hes a person, and will be taking up space, so thats less room for others. therefore you have to pay for that space. just like for an adult.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM

The thing is, they say that it's the "cheap" alternative to driving.  Now it's going to be about $40 for my family and we could drive there and back for $20 in gas so how is this cheap?  Seriously, I'd just drive if it wasn't for the fact my son LOVES trains!

miss_hughes
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM

the point is is they are running a business. you want to take the train as a treat basically. for your son. if your worried about the money, then drive! if you want the expierence...pay the $9!!!! its only $9 round trip! I dont see why its confusing? also think about it as your not driving. so the person that IS driving needs to be paid somehow. its not your car or gas...those things needs paid. etc.  

the money has to come from somewhere.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

The thing is, they say that it's the "cheap" alternative to driving.  Now it's going to be about $40 for my family and we could drive there and back for $20 in gas so how is this cheap?  Seriously, I'd just drive if it wasn't for the fact my son LOVES trains!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)