Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Advice?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is now 2 weeks old, when I first started feeding him I was so full my boobs were HUGE like torpedos and hard as rocks. Now, not so much. They are soft like pillows and he seems to be feeding a lot more. Could this be becuase I am not producing enough milk? IF I hear him cry or right before I get into the shower I spray everywhere, so I know I have milk in I am just not sure if I have enough.. is this normal?. This is my second kid but I wasn't able to breastfeed my first one, so I am kind of new at this. Any advice?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM

He's just going through a growth spurt. When they go through a growth spurt they nurse like crazy for a few days to get your supply up to where they need it and once it's there they stop nursing like crazy for awhile, well till the next growth spurt. Your milk will start to regulate its self after a bit and your boobs won't feel as full, but they still have plenty of milk in there.

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage, Natural childbirth having, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CIO, Co-sleeping, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

How many wet diapers per day?

At 2 weeks old he should be having at least 6-8 wet diapers in a 24 hour period.

Once your supply regulates, there is less engorgment and it's normal to not feel full. As long as you are nursing on demand and he is having wet diapers, nothing else matters : )

Good luck!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

acbbsmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM

What you are experiencing is completely normal. You will find that breastfed babies do eat more frequently than babies who are formula fed. 

crystalearl
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Yay growth spurt!!! My baby is 2 1/2 weeks and just finished a growth spurt. For a few days he was nursing every hour for 20-30 mins at a time. My MIL has been here for almost a week and she asked me if I was producing enough since he was nursing so much. She BFed all 3 of her kids so you would think that she would know all about growth spurts.

JenniferZiemba
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Is he eating more often than every 2 hrs?  Usually at that age a breastfed baby will eat 8 - 12 times a day.  I know it's very hard to tell in that first couple weeks if they are getting enough milk but as long as they are peeing and pooping (6- 8 wet diapers) daily than your doing good mama.  Keep up the good work!

breastfeeding

You know you're a mom when you realize
that you're living for the same person you'd die for,
                       My children.

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 PM

It's normal for them to change... you milk changes with his demands so sometimes you'll feel more soft other times very full.  I took advantage of overproduction and pumped and stored it. As long as he seems satisfied I wouldn't worry at all about how your breasts feel.

rkoloms
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Everything you mentioned is perfectly normal.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)