Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swine flu vaccine???

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM
  • 41 Replies

Ok, so i understand the media is dramatizing the swine flu, and i understand that its also a major thing. And my prayers go out to all the children and people who have it, had it, or unfortunately died from it...but I am not comforterable at all with the vaccination especially for my son. My son isn't 6 months yet, so regardless and can't get it, but he is 2 weeks away from 6 months and I am not keen on giving him the vaccination...

I just think that there is not enough research or time to see the side effects or long term injuries it "could" cause. I plan on keeping my son in the house, keeping him away from the "outside" world until this is under control.

I myself and my fiancee are skeptical on getting it as well. My fiancee is in the military so he will be forced to get it. But I don't work, so i don't need to go out either. I just don't know what to do...

Any opinions???

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Well it sounds like you've made up your mind. I dont know what kind of opinion you are looking for but personally I think the swine flu affects ppl differently, my family chose to get the shot. IMO it was better to be safe than sorry. They said that the vaccine was made the same way with the same things that the seasonal flu vaccine is, just added the h1n1 strain. We have had the shot a week ago and have had no side effects. I think its a personal choice as to whether you or your family should get the shot and everyone should respect that.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I got the swine flu shot yesterday.... better safe then sorry! plus i have a 10 week old and i need to protect her! She cant get the shot, so i did.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM

See my delema is this...I dont want to get it either cause it hasn't been out long enough to know the long term side effects, etc.  I have a 5 month old and a 22 month old.  I thought about getting them the nasal vac but I dunno.  I'm too scared for anyone in my family to get the shot.  The hubby is a paramedic and I work in retail.  Either one of us can get it but I doubt we'll end up getting the vac.  There is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much hype about it!  IMO......

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 3:52 AM

Good call mamma. We aren't doing this vax either for the below reasons....

Sanofi Pasteur’s Fluzone® Vaccine
Package Insert

Teratogenic effects: Pregnancy Category C:
Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted
with Fluzone vaccine.
It is also not known whether
Fluzone vaccine can cause fetal harm when
administered to a pregnant woman or can affect
reproduction capacity. Fluzone vaccine should be
given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of
Fluzone vaccine has not been evaluated for
carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or for impairment of fertility.

Three years ago legislators strategically
passed The Biodefense and Pandemic
Vaccine and Drug Development Act of 2006

(also known as BioShield II). This law
Americans of the right to a jury trial if
harmed by an experimental drug or vaccine
during a declared pandemic.
Keep in mind
there is no guaranteed compensation
program for those who may be injured or
for families whose loved ones die from
being vaccinated or treated.

Many Studies show the Flu vaccine is NOT EFFECTIVE in:

CHILDREN: “ evidence that injecting children
6-24 months of age with a flu shot was any more
effective than placebo.”
Reference: “Vaccines for
preventing influenza in healthy children.”, The
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2 (2008).

ASTHMA: “The inactivated flu vaccine does not
prevent influenza-related hospitalizations in children,
especially the ones with asthma… Children who get
the flu vaccine are three times more at risk for
hospitalization than children who do not get the
Reference: The American Thoracic Society’s
105th International Conference, May 15-20, 2009, San

children with asthma (2): A study 800 children with asthma, half were vaccinated and the other half did not receive the influenza vaccine. The two groups were compared with respect to clinic visits, emergency department (ED) visits, and hospitalizations for asthma. CONCLUSION: This study failed to provide evidence that the influenza vaccine prevents pediatric asthma exacerbations. Reference: "Effectiveness of influenza vaccine for the prevention of asthma exacerbations." Christly, C. et al. Arch Dis Child. 2004 Aug;89(8):734-5.

HEALTHY ADULTS: “Vaccination of healthy adults
only reduced risk of influenza by 6%...”
Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults. The
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 1(2006).

THE ELDERLY: Flu shots were non-significant for
preventing the flu in elderly living in nursing homes. For
elderly living in the community, vaccines were not
(significantly) effective against influenza, ILI or
Reference: “Vaccines for preventing
influenza in the elderly.” The Cochrane Database of
Systematic Reviews
. 3(2006).

PREGNANT WOMEN: FDA and manufacturer’s
insert indicate that the Flu shot should NOT be given to
pregnant women whether it contains Thimerosal
(mercury) or not. 
But....Without proof of fetal and
reproductive safety, the CDC and Advisory Committee
on Immunization Practices
(ACIP) still recommend that all
pregnant women get vaccinated against the flu.

Thimerosal (Mercury) and other

Thimerosal is heavily implicated as a major cause of the
mass generational epidemic in developmental disorders
(including the autism spectrum disorders, ADD, ADHD
and OCD), endocrine-system dysfunction, and
immune-system-related chronic diseases of the lungs,
bowel, pancreas, liver and cardiovascular system.
Studies show a
“... 7 to 1 increase in relative risk of injury
for children born to mothers who got a
thimerosal-preserved flu shot in the first 4 lunar months
of their pregnancy over matched mothers who did not.”

(Birth Defects and Drugs in Pregnancy, Heinonem, Slone,
Shapiro, 1983)

“Significantly increased risks of autism, speech
, mental retardation, personality disorders,
thinking abnormalities, ataxia and NDs
(neuro-developmental disorders) in general,...were
associated with TCV (thimerosal) exposure.”

(Neuroendocrinology Letters Volume 27 No. 4 2006. Mark R.
Geier. M.D., Ph.D. and David A. Geier)

Other components: Formaldehyde (a neurotoxin and

carcinogen), egg protein, contaminant viruses,Triton X100: (detergent , & Polysorbate 80:(allergen; infertility in mice)

"Think of H1N1 as the flu....because that is what it is!!

How would you treat the flu? stay home, rest, drink plenty of water (not juice -- extra sugar). Alkaline water is preferred. Vitamin D 50,000 IU/day for a week, Vitamin A... 100,000 IU/day drops for THREE days only. This is a very high dose but can kick out almost any viral infection. This dose is safe for anyone over 5yo, Vitamin C 20mg/pound in kids; Adults: up to 10,000 mg/day. Start slowly, such as 1000mg twice daily and work up to as much as you can tolerate. If you get stomach cramps or loose stools, stop and start to decrease the dose. Colloidal silver product 3-5 tablespoons a day until well."-DR. TENPENNY DO.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:03 AM
I would not do it if you are not comfortable with it. We did not get it either for the same reason. If you have not seen the video of the cheerleader that got just the regular flu vaccine here is the link: The poor thing flails around unless she is walking backwards or is running now. It ruined her life. I know people do it to be safer than sorry, but who is to say it is not the other way around? My now 22 month old got the swine flu and did just fine. They consider someone a high risk for the swine flu if they have asthma or lung problems though so if we had asthma we might have gotten it. Her doc said that she is such a healthy kid she will do ok with it. I would go with your gut! Good luck!!!
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM

1 in 100,000 people that get the Swine Flu vaccine will get Guillian Barre Syndrome.  This Syndrome never existed until the Swine Flu vaccine of 1976.  The percent of people who contracted it then was 5%-10% of the people who received the vaccine.  The media doesn't tell you this....  They don't tell you that more people died from the vaccine than the actual flu back then. 

Yesterday, a 14 year old boy in VA  became paralized after getting the swine flu vaccine and it diagnosed as having Guillian Barre Syndrome.  80% of people can recover, 20% don't ever recover and people do die from it.  He is looking at 8 weeks of therapy to walk again, he is or should I say was an athlete before the shot. 

I'm sure we'll see more cases as the weeks go on.  The CDC says there are 5 cases confirmed to be caused by the vaccine so far....

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:10 AM

please don't get it.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM

My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!!  3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine will has Thimerisol/mercury. As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.

You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?

I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:

With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

Get a bottle of elderberry syrup.

The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Robin in Chicago

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

We're not getting it, but we dont vaccinate at all either.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM

We won't be getting shot either we love our Healthly Alert Baby.Don't need no man made God only knows crap No Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)