Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Puppy and a little lost :)

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hey ladies,

We just got our new puppy and she is wonderful!  We where told we have to get shots for her.  Should I go to Petco, or a vet?  Do you know the price difference?  Also, my neighbor stopped by and said that I'm not allowed to have her around any children or dogs around her because she might get a disease from them.  Is this true?  Should I not take her for walks until she is 12 weeks old because of this (what the neighbor said). 

Any other advice please!

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Take her to the vet and get her checked out properly.

What your neighbor was probably talking about is Parvo. It is fatal in the majority of dogs who contract it and puppies are at risk. There is a vaccine for parvo, usually vets give a 3 way and this is included.

If your puppy has diarrhea, vomiting (especially blood in either of those two) and seems lethargic, get her to the vet immediately. If it's caught early enough, they can sometimes be saved.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

shebearncub
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I would definatly get your puppy the Parvo shot among others (called puppy shots) before taking them out in public. Parvo is VERY contagious and lives forever in an area.The animals that contract it almost always die.....I know thats terrible to hear but its true.

I don't know about the Petco thingy cause we don't have one here.....sorry.

shoegirl01
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM

This is so sad!  The petco only has vacs on the weekends, but I want her proteced before then, so I'll call the vet asap in the morning!

Quoting shebearncub:

I would definatly get your puppy the Parvo shot among others (called puppy shots) before taking them out in public. Parvo is VERY contagious and lives forever in an area.The animals that contract it almost always die.....I know thats terrible to hear but its true.

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

proudmommy22805
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:08 AM

If you go to Petsmart Tue and Thur from 2pm-4pm they have wellness hours for shots. This way you only have to pay for the shot and not the $35 office visit. You can do the shot yourself if you feel ok with it. You can buy them at a feed store. It is much cheaper and not really all that hard, you just have to get past the first reaction. My husband and I breed Boxers and in order to vaccinate one of my past litters of 7 puppies the vet wanted OVER $500!! I went to a feed store and did them at home for less then $150.  If you can't do it yourself I would just call around and find a good vet and most of them do walk-ins and will vaccinate all day. Also I should mention that the  puppy shot is a combination of 5 different  vaccines and Parvo is included.

GOOD LUCK!

Quoting shoegirl01:

This is so sad!  The petco only has vacs on the weekends, but I want her proteced before then, so I'll call the vet asap in the morning!

Quoting shebearncub:

wedding tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
momofne
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Since it's a new puppy I would take her to the vets to get checked out and her first vacs. When she is older and just needs the boosters then I might take her to Petco. May I also suggest getting a puppy book. Having puppies is alot like having children...there's a lot to learn : ) Also come check out the Dog Lovers group. Alot of great furmommies there.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM

The first 6 months there are lots of shots every month and worming and flea meds.  It adds up no matter where you go. 

I wouldn't let my puppy run with others until they have several sets of shots.  My puppy started puppy class at about 4 1/2 months old and some shots were required befor she could attend. 

Puppies can be around kids.  I didn't take our puppy for walks just because all she wanted to do was eat rocks and things she wasn't supposed to.  She is almost 7 months and so wonderful.  We love her to death.  She gets me up every morning a lttle earlier than I like but I deal with it. 

shecallsmemom04
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM

honestly, the cost is going to average out to be the same no matter where you go.  the first year of a dogs life is usually the most expensive.  i do recommend a vet to everyone i adopt out an animal to, within the first week.  we even give out a voucher for a free vet visit. 

as for parvo, your neighbor is correct.  although i'm not sure why she added children in there.  adults can carry parvo too, usually on the bottoms of their shoes.  adult dogs, even if they've had their vaxes, are often still carriers of the disease.  you can walk on the side walk and get it on your shoe, you don't necessarily have be in contact with another dog.  i always keep all my foster puppies in my house until 16 weeks of age.  and i have a foot bath on our deck that we all step in before we come inside.  or if they are at the shelter, i have a "no puppy touching the floor" rule. 

someone mentioned deworming, that's an important thing to do.  all pups are born with worms.

if you are one of those overly annoying people, who seem to get offended over every little thing, and like to pull out the "judgemental" card....please, do not quote me.  i don't pay attention to stupid and i do not deal with whiners. 

get yourself a tissue, grow up, and move on.  and have a great day.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)