Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newborn BF baby poop ?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 9 days old. He is really a natural at nursing. He latched on right after being born like he'd been doing it for ages and he has made it A LOT easier than my first son. He is only getting up twice at night, which is great! But, when he gets up, he has a wet diaper, so I change it. Then, as he is nursing he poops. So, when I think he is finished, I change his diaper which REALLY ticks him off. So, he wants to nurse again to soothe himself. But, the nursing makes him poop more! It is like an endless cycle. I know breastfed babies poop a lot more than formula fed babies, but here is my question:

Is this how it is all of the time with breastfed babie or is it just a newborn thing? I know it is perfectly normal to have a BM every feeding, but as they get older do they literally poop everytime they latch on? I am sometimes changing his diaper 3 or 4 times in one feeding session and I am just wondering if it will always be this way?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :-)

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM

my oldest two did this, it was maddening at night because it would wake them up and it took forever to settle them down. As their system matures they will do this less. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

nessafaye0628
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM

oh, i couldn't help but chuckle to myself about this one :)  no, it won't always be this way, in fact when BF babies get to be a couple months old many of them only poop every couple of days or even just once a week. it also depends on the baby, some poop every time, and some go to the more spaced out pooping almost right away. hang in there mama, it will get better!

mlbrooks421
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for the replies!! That is AWESOME to hear!!! :-)

RheaF
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Yep, DS pooped alot more then DD did. (DS was EBF) I would change the poopy diaper and 2 seconds later...he pooped again. And BF babies poop does stink! I cant remember who told me it doesnt but I did hear that.  

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM

No, it won't always be like that! All 3 of my kids got to a point where they only pooped every few days..

mlbrooks421
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Yes, it does! Not a lot of the time, but every so often, oh my, the smell!!!

Quoting RheaF:

Yep, DS pooped alot more then DD did. (DS was EBF) I would change the poopy diaper and 2 seconds later...he pooped again. And BF babies poop does stink! I cant remember who told me it doesnt but I did hear that.  

BaileynMe
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I don't think it did IN COMPARISON to formula poop, but yes, it does stink. Formula poop though.. oh my. And soy formula poop is enough to clear the entire neighborhood if not immediately contained. 

The frequent pooping is normal, and should slow as they get a better handle on their bodies and learn to hold it. 

Quoting mlbrooks421:

Yes, it does! Not a lot of the time, but every so often, oh my, the smell!!!

Quoting RheaF:

DyerMaker
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I had to ask my mom about the exact same thing when BFing my DS. Apparently,both my DS and I used to do the same exact thing as a newborns. My DS is now 4 months old, and his poops are limited to 2 times a day, and he is really a regular pooper. He goes during his early morning feeding... (I have found out to burp him, give him about 5-10 minutes to finish, then change him works well). He will usually go a second time during his 4 o clock feeding. Again, I burp him and wait. Newborns will poop a LOT because they haven't regulated ANYTHING about their schedules. No fear, mama. Once you notice a pattern with sleeping AND Eating, poop is not far behind.

A computer beat me at Chess once, but it was no match for me at Kickboxing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)