Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to get rid of my cats! :(

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have two cats that are about 6-7 months and I have forked over alot of money to have them dewormed and given them their shot and all that fun stuff, and my three year old is in love with these cats and says goodnight to them every night and I just don't know how to cope with the fact that we have to get rid of the cats or we have to move. Just today a landlord person came and told me I need to get rid of them or we will recieve a written notice to leave the apartment. I am 10 weeks pregnant, and true we could move to a bigger apartment, but we can't afford that right now, where we live has a really cheap rent for 550 with heat and electric included.

Maybe the pregnancy hormones are making this harder for me, but I have just been crying ever  since they told me. My fiance acts like it is nothing and just says we need to find them a home or bring them to the shelter. But then all I can think about is bringing them to a shelter, where they are stuck in a cage, and they probably wont get adopted to the same home, and will get split up and I just feel horrible.

Has anyone else gone through something like this before?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Try posting an ad on freecycle. But yeah I have been in your place. Only we had to get rid of a puppy we got our son not knowing he's deathly allergic to dogs.  

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I have gone through something similar.  We had a cat and a dog, and when my cat had kittens my husband wanted to keep one.  Our landlord told us that the lease said only two pets (which I was unaware of - considering we paid the darn pet deposit), and said we had to pick one of the pets to get rid of.  I had had my cat for four years, the dog for one year, and the kitten for a few months.  I cried forever when he told us to pick a pet to get rid of, but my husband said we could do it.  (I wasn't even pregnant then - so crying is natural.)  We ended up asking around and found a good home for our dog.  He didn't like being chained up all day outside anyway - and his new home has a fenced-in yard, so he is way happier!  But it was really hard to choose, and even harder if you have to choose the shelter (which our landlord said he would take our pet if we didn't find him a home).  Ask everyone you know (that you feel would be good "parents" to your pets) if they would take them in (even if it's until you can find a place to live that allows pets.  Quick question, though, how come the issue is just now coming up???? Shouldn't they have told you no pets before????

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

i agree with that first reply to post on freecycle and try craigslist! maybe if you have a church you could post a photo of them there, also your vet may help you too and post photos of them at the vet clinic. try not to cry, they are still young cats! you can find a home for them, keep thinking positive. i can't imagine having to re-home my fur babies, i have a cat and small dog that are best friends... it will be okay though, try to find them a home before taking them to a shelter!!! cats aren't much work, besides vet bills so hopefully you can find them a home! will pray for your kitties to find a new home... *hugs*

by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM

If i was in this situation, I would move to a place were i could have pets. I am sure i am in the minority but i believe when you take on the responsibility of a pet it is for their lifetime.  I am sorry you are in this situation though.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I think I would have checked with the landlord first instead of getting cats and then having to get rid of them. Anyway, that being said, you don't know anyone who will take them so that your daughter can still see them? She'll get over it and then maybe get her a fish or something.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM

give them to someone you know then you can see them whenever you want plus if you move where you can have animals see if you could have them back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)