Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I potty trained my son, why is it so hard to do this with a puppy!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hey Ladies,

For all of you who haven't been following the posts, my husband just got our family an 8 week old beautiful Lhasa puppy.  She is super duper sweet, but I can't potty train her or get her to sleep where she should!

I grew up with two pugs and potty trained them, my son was potty trained in 7 days.  I know I just got her a few days ago, but the dog shows no interest what so ever!  I take her outside (once an hour) and she plays or just lays down.  At night, we have an area sectioned off for her and she will cry for hours. 

I don't remember this being so hard with other dogs, why now?  What tips PLEASE can you share with me PLEASE!!!

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lexismum03
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:58 AM

If you don't have a kennel I suggest one! They are the best. Crate training makes it easier to potty train. Dogs don't like to go to the bathrom where they sleep or eat(so they say it took my pup awhile to learn that) She sleeps in there at night and is in there during the day if I will only be gone an hour or two! She will cry in the crate the first night but keep it near you so you can put your fingers in to show you are still there she will learn quickly that its okay! If she has an accident she goes in the kennel then straight outside. Clickers work really good. click and treat when they go potty! My stubborn mini dachshund learned really quick!

Huntersmommy113
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM

We got our dog when he was nine weeks old, when i was potty training him i took him out every hour like you said. it took awhile for him to actually get it though...we had those puppy pad things that u put on the floor and spray with something so the dog only goes on that and not everywhere in your house...but that did not work for our dog...he  laid on those and peed on the floor....just keep hanging in there.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I have a 6 month old and it takes time. Get a crate.  Crate training is the best but that takes time too. Put the crate where they can see you.  Its the only way I got mine to sleep well and continues to sleep well.   My puppy still has some accidents occasionally but not in the crate unless she is left maybe 6 hours or more during the day. 

I am happy when my puppy sleeps from 11pm-6am.  I would like more sleep but she is a small dog and this is as good as it gets probably.  Sometimes she wakes up to go out at 4-5 am still.  We got her at 10 weeks old also.  At first I took her out every hour during the day and probably 4 times a night between 10pm and 6am.  I didn't go anywhere the first week or so as it was summer so my girls helped a lot.  We do not allow our dog to potty anywhere in our home.  Only outside. 

I did puppy class also starting at 12  weeks old. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Reward with treats every time they potty outside also.  Make a huge deal.  Our puppy is also gated in our kitchen and family room only.  She can't go anywhere else in our home.  She barks at the gate or french doors to go out.  If she gets ignored she will go on the floor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)