Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MMR vaccine - Question?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM
  • 3 Replies

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this vaccine separated?  I asked the pedi but he said they don't make it anymore and maybe in 2012 they will separate it.  My son will be 3 next September and I want to put him in preschool but I really don't want to give him the MMR vaccine all at once.  I don't think the school he may go to will accept a religious exemption bec, they are not publicly funded.  So my question is, does anyone know of a way to get this shot separated?  Can I order it from somewhere?  Also, would like to know if you delayed this shot and if your kid had a bad reaction to it.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommytoG
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I  remember that when I was in the 6th grade and got it we got one shot and then a few months later go another shot. If that is what you are wondering.

But if you are wondering if you can get a shot just for the Measles and then just for Mumps and so on, I really am not sure. I personally would rather get them at the same time and not be poked 3 different times

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
Gailll
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Right now MMR is not available as seperate shots. You can have the MMR done by itself. The second dose is not a booster, it is to make sure the first shot was not a dud. It would seem like you could have just one MMR and then have blood tests done to prove your child had a titer to rubella to show proof of immunization.

My children have a genetic immune deficiency disease and the MMR was not advised for them.

reelo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Right now the MMR is not available seperately even by order.

One thing you can do is have them draw blood for a titre, basically they check to see if your child has already developed the antibodies for the disease thanks to either the earlier shot or exposure.  However, if he didn't have the shot earlier and hasn't been exposed- it would be a waste.

I do know that with 3 boys we've had no reaction more serious then a mild fever with the MMR.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)