Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my 2 1/2 year old just told me...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old son just told me that he wants to learn to read.  What do I do with this?  I mean, he's always been obsessed with letters.  By 1 year old he could sing the alphabet and recognize some letters.  Now he is obsessed with how letters combine to make words and then he tells me he wants to learn to read!  I don't want to discourage him and tell him he's too little but what do I do with this?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlene_kyle
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Teach Him! If he is ready to learn then I would be all on board with it. I would take it slow so he doesnt get overwhelmed but other than that I would most definitely be on teaching him all I could as long as he is willing.

Brooklynsmom119
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

You read to him and teach him the sounds of each letter and sound out words for him. this all will prepare him to read. let him play on starfall.com, there are plenty of games that deal with phonics and storytelling 

Brooklyn's Mommy

breastfeeding I'm a huge fan of whipping out the boob! Lets feed our children!

Breast are actually for breastfeeding. Society makes breast sexual which makes mothers uneasy about feeding their children the way God intended for them to be fed. Remember that the breasts function are to feed our babies, not for a mans amusement.

vegepunkstr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I was just going to suggest this website. My 3 year old loves it and has learned so much from it

Quoting Brooklynsmom119:

You read to him and teach him the sounds of each letter and sound out words for him. this all will prepare him to read. let him play on starfall.com, there are plenty of games that deal with phonics and storytelling 

mommytoG
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Starfall.com

yahoo preschool worksheets and print them out

go to walmart and P-K work book

have him pick out a book and read it to him. Show him how the letter form to make words

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
Osstie
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Teach him!!!!!! Starfall.com is an awesome awesome awesome website. I'd start off with teaching him phonics. Have him memorize the sounds all the letters make.

MARIE20
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I would teach him, my daughter is 5 and is an excellent reader. Only 9 in her class 0f 30 are able to read. So its in his advantage!!!

graciejoe
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I'm going to agree to use starfall.com.  Also, a few years ago, we bought a leapfrog wordwhammer.  It's awesome.  It says the sounds of the letters and the words.

wentworth99
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Wow that is just awesome ! If he wants to read teach him. Leapfrog makes the best DVDS Letter Factory. and a few others they are awesome Talking word Factory is 1 also Walmart, Target or Toys r us carry them .

Katie mother of 5  Noah (10),Hailey (6),Riley (5) Caleb (4)and Gracie (18mths)
cornucopia

Brooklynsmom119
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM

buy him a story reader  too, it makes them feel more confident when they are sitting there with their books and think they are reading. my daughter has one and she's only 10 months old

Brooklyn's Mommy

breastfeeding I'm a huge fan of whipping out the boob! Lets feed our children!

Breast are actually for breastfeeding. Society makes breast sexual which makes mothers uneasy about feeding their children the way God intended for them to be fed. Remember that the breasts function are to feed our babies, not for a mans amusement.

queenpmommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM

go with it if he wants to do it then let him if he starts and wants to slow down do that to but use this time of intrest to your advantage

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)