Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 YO eating habits (kinda long-but need help!!!)

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone!

So my 3 yo Emma has always been obsessed with food. It really started when she was a baby, she was never satisified with her milk. It seems like food has always been an issue for her. Now, she constantly asks for food. I mean ALL THE TIME!!! She gets up around 7, has breakfast, snack at 10, lunch at 12:30, nap, a very small afternoon snack, then dinner around 5 or 6. We eat very healthy food (ex of a snack are baby carrots, apple, bananas, celery w peanut butter) She rarely gets anything to drink other than water or soy milk. I have asked her DR about this and she said to let her eat when she wants to as long as its a healthy snack. I just don't think letting a child over eat all the time is setting her up to be healthy later in life. Yet, I am so sick of hearing that she is hungry when i know she ate 20 min ago.

I was concerned about diabetes, but they did a hemoglobin A1C on her, and her sugar is fine.(her bio dad was diagnosed w diabetes when he was a young child)

So...what would you do? Thank you guys so much :)

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I would let her eat as often as she wants.  Did you know the best way to maintain a healthy weight is to eat 6 small meals a day?  Children also go through growth spurts and she might need the nutrition.  As long as she is eating good foods I would let her eat as frequently as she needed.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

cornucopiapilgrim1pumpkin pie

Gailll
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

You don't say if her weight is normal and that makes a big difference.

She may not be eating enough fat and that is why she isn't feeling full. The foods you mentioned except for the peanut butter are high in water and wouldn't make her feel full. I wouldn't give a child soy milk to drink. Maybe on cereal.

It's ok for kids to be eating many times a day as long as they are at a good weight and BMI. If you go to google and type in super foods you will find different lists of foods. These are the kinds of foods you want to include in her diet.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

My children love to eat, too, and only eat GOOD STUFF. It sounds like you're doing a good job.

The rules here are that you have to eat at the table. Sometimes that is enough to make a grazer re-think eating again, KWIM?

Distraction is good too. Just letting her know it's time for an activity other than eating, and keep on a routine, if you can.

My kids eat like this:

6a- cereal, orange juice, banana

9a- oatmeal blueberries, milk

11a- grilled cheese, carrots, milk

3p- apples and crackers, water

6p- dinner and milk

5 times a day! And you never know, a 6th time too, if they're tummies need it!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Larue09
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM

The only reason that she gets aoymilk is because she is sensitive to dairly products. Her skin breaks out in a rash if she drinks regular milk. The foods i mentioned were just what she can have if she wants a snack. Also, she is above average for her height and weight!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)