Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

God does NOT need my money

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 20 Replies

Yesterday I let my son go to church with his friend. We are not a church family, my husband doesnt beleive in God and I have a problem with organized religion. I like to beleive what the bible says and not be told by someone else how I should be our what THEY think the bible is saying. Everyone has an idea of what it could mean and no ones idea is right or wrong. Free will is a good thing and I practice it when it comes to my beleifs. 
I dont have a problem with my kids going to church with their friends though. Its up to them how they want do beleive and learn.
Anyway he went yesterday and he had fun. He doesnt really remember much of what went on, but he does remember about what they told him about the "giving envelope" they made in Sunday School.  They told him that people give money because God needs it. It even says it on the envelope.  And that he should give half his allowance to God because its wat God wants.
I have been to churches as a youngster too and have been told pretty much the same thing.
Kids actually think the money is going to GOD and that God needs it, and I feel that the churches are misleading the children into thinking like that.
Now I dont have a problem with giving money, I have a problem with what they tell the kids to get them to give away half their money. I think it is wrong to decieve a child into thinking God needs their allowances that they worked hard for.

After hearing my son tell me the God wants his money and reading the envelope I sat him down and explained the real reason people give money.
I told him that God does not need money, that he doesnt use money in heaven where he lives.
I told him that the people who want the money is the church. That they need it so they can pay for bills and rent and stuff like that.  I told him that the church has to pay for the same types of things that we have to pay for in our house.  I also told him that God does not want him to give all his money to the church, that God is happy when people help other people. Giving things to others who are in need.
I told him that if he wants to give some money the next time he goes then that is up to him but he does not HAVE to. God will not be mad at him if he doesnt give money.

So anyway, what do you think? what would you have said? DO you think its ok for churches to tell kids that its God that wants their money? SHould the churches be truthful with the children?
Just opinions no judging thanks and please try not to be rude.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
guam_mama
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM

i would have done what you did, just sit my son down and explain to him the truth. im catholic and try to go to church as much as i can, yet i do agree w/ you...churches should never tell kids God needs your money...i'm shocked they made the kids create collection envelopes, that bothers me.

BaileynMe
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I grew up in church and can't ever remember being told God WANTS my money, just that He can use it. That said, most of the kid's church money went to a missions program that supports outreach to underprivileged and inner city kids. I think telling them God wants their money is the lazy way of getting them to give in the offering. I think they should be told if their money is going to help other people or to help buy the stuff for the program they're in, etc.

I'm a little of a renegade, though, because I don't know that I believe TITHING (the whole 10% thing) is actually a Biblical principle. Sure, there's an example or two of it (the most common one is Abraham "tithing to a king, Melchizidek perhaps?) but that doesn't make it a principle! I'm all for giving to support the church and whatnot, but don't try telling me that it's part of being a good Christian when the Bible doesn't even say that! I mean granted, various books talk about giving to the poor and helping the less fortunate and helping to spread the gospel by giving monetarily, but nowhere does it say "Thou shalt give 10% of your earnings AT THE LEAST or you're a bad Christian!" 

themountainmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I think in general, it is understood that churches accept donations and openly solicit funds.  You yourself said you knew this.  You let your son go knowing he would likely be exposed to the customs of the church and you willingly allowed him to go.  I don't understand the rub. In the future,  perhaps you can help your son (perhaps through roleplay) know how to respond when he is handed or offered a collection envelope. 

So, that is what I think.  I would have prepared my son for the money thing, that's what I would have said.  I think it is ok for churches to stand firm on their positions regarding giving of funds.  Churches should be and are truthful with children; I don't think the experience you've shared proves otherwise.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM

We are a church going family.  I've never told our kids that "God wants our money", we've taught them what God says in the Bible about tithing (10%).  You are right about the church needing the money to pay bills etc. but in our church we also use the money to feed the hungry, send missionaries to other countries to preach the gospel, stuff like that. 

JenniL05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Wow that's crazy! I have gone to church for most of my life and even to different denominations and I have NEVER heard that before. Growing up it was always things like "giving money to help the poor" and "Jesus loves the poor" and things like that. I can't believe they said that God wants your money!

No I do NOT thinks it's ok to tell kids that! They should be taught that it goes to help the church. I do know that some churches teach that tithing is giving 10% of your money to God...but when they tell kids that they always explain that giving to God means giving to your church and/or to charity, at least that's how it's been in my experience. That is how it should be in my opinion. ;)

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM

It's not right for a church to sound like they require you to give them your money, and especially not half! You're right, God does not NEED our money. The Bible teaches it is a good practice for us to tithe 10% of our earnings, but he does not require it. It is also the one thing God tells us to test him on. The tithe has two purposes, to bless those in need and to bless the giver (when given with a cheerful heart).

If my dd came home with something like that, I would have done the same thing. I would sit her down and explain the truth. I would pull out my Bible and show her the verses where it talks about tithing. I would answer any questions she may have, and personally I wouldn't take her back to that church.

CafeMom Tickers

Daynaof3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM

So anyway, what do you think? what would you have said? DO you think its ok for churches to tell kids that its God that wants their money? SHould the churches be truthful with the children?
Just opinions no judging thanks and please try not to be rude.

I think it's wrong for the church to place any amount or percent on anyone, let alone a child. The Bible tells us to give from our heart without compulsion or reluctance. Basically follow your heart on what to give. I would have told my kids just that, what does your heart tell you to give. Many times that is more than what someone would be suggested to give, especially from children! Children are very generous givers(most anyway)! Of course the church should be truthful with children, I think that a lot of churches probably feel they are being truthful(sad but true).

The Bible tells us the love of money is the root of all evil, that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven, and that we should count on him for all our needs because he knows them well and will provide for us. I want my kids to give to those who need it, not just money but whatever they have to give from the heart.

blg119
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Well, as a Christian I disagree with a lot of things you mentioned in your post but that isn't what you asked. I agree that God does NOT need our money. However, we are commanded to tithe. Not because He needs our money (in fact He is the one who blesses us) but because it's an act of obedience and trust. We put our full trust in that He will watch over us for ALL our needs and what we have is not because of our accomplishments but by His mercy and grace.

Yes, tithing does go towards church/building funds but we also sponsor many missionary's across the globe, among other things. Our church rarely mentions tithing and we do not pass an offering plate around. We have boxes at the back of our sanctuary where we can discreetly place our tithes and offerings. After all, tithing is between me and the Lord and not who I am sitting next to.  

deann66
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I am a Christian and admit, when I began reading your email, I was ready to debate the issue reciting passages from Luke and Malachi that promises God will give us back ten times what we give. (Not that you give to get but that God will not let us go hungry etc) But, having said that, I think you did ok. I think its important your son also understand that this money is also used for missionary work-including neighborhood programs to feed the hungry and help the poor. Its not just to payroll the church. I believe in giving ten percent of my income but do not make my children. They understand where is goes and choose themselves when they give. They almost always do and sometimes they choose to give to an organization they come across rather then our church. And thats fine. God just wants us to give to his people and take care of one another.

DeAnn

mom2-3babies
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Quoting BaileynMe:

I grew up in church and can't ever remember being told God WANTS my money, just that He can use it. That said, most of the kid's church money went to a missions program that supports outreach to underprivileged and inner city kids. I think telling them God wants their money is the lazy way of getting them to give in the offering. I think they should be told if their money is going to help other people or to help buy the stuff for the program they're in, etc.

I'm a little of a renegade, though, because I don't know that I believe TITHING (the whole 10% thing) is actually a Biblical principle. Sure, there's an example or two of it (the most common one is Abraham "tithing to a king, Melchizidek perhaps?) but that doesn't make it a principle! I'm all for giving to support the church and whatnot, but don't try telling me that it's part of being a good Christian when the Bible doesn't even say that! I mean granted, various books talk about giving to the poor and helping the less fortunate and helping to spread the gospel by giving monetarily, but nowhere does it say "Thou shalt give 10% of your earnings AT THE LEAST or you're a bad Christian!" 

here is one verse.....

Malachi 3:8-9- "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me. But you sy, 'How have we robbed You?'  In tithes and offerings. 9- You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you! 10- Bring the whole tithe into the store house...."

That being said, I do not believe God NEDS your money...He WANTS your obedience. He asks for 10%..you keep nine he only asks for 1...He can do His work without your money..its not about Him needing your money to work......its about us giving a sacrifice to Father.

A sacrifice is between you and God...nobody can tell you HAVE to...it is up to free will weather to listen to him...they shouldn't have tried to press that with children...they should only stick to scripture...i admit that it does sound that they were pressuring the children for their own gain.. first of all 10% is hardly half....they should have just explain what titheing is and then left it up to the children to decide if they want to....IMO.

I teach my children to give, but again, it;s up to the giver....free will and all....i just posted the verse so you would know there are verses there about it....there are MANY verses citing people giving the tithe....they are an example for us....

Look at it this way...if you believe God is the creator of the entire universe and He helps us day to day...Its Him who gives us the ability to make the money, Him who gives us the job, the good health to be able to go to work....so all of the money is His anyway...but he gives us 9 and only asks for 1....it's actually very reasonable when we think of it this way...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)