Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

safety straps, really?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

OK, I'm a new mom with a 5 week old daughter.  While furnishing her nursery, I bought a contoured changing table pad that has safety straps on it.  At first, I thread the straps through the holes in the pad cover, but I find myself changing that cover almost every day and the straps just seem useless.  I would never place my child down on there and walk away, so I'm not sure why the straps are even there.  I'm tempted to snip them off to make putting the cover on and taking it off easier, but I stop myself when I realize that maybe there will be a need for them as my daughter gets older and bigger.  Any mamas out there have any advice?  Would I be a terrible mommy if I cut off these silly straps?

Product Image Tiddliwinks Contoured Changing Pad - White

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
davidjames07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM

can you tuck them under until your dd is a little older and actually needs them? thats what i did with ds straps, i just tucked them under the mat and put the cover over it.

Breastfeeding/formula feeding, non-circumcising, vaccinating, co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, feed my son whatever he wants in moderation,  Wife to Joey since 01/06, mother to David James since 07/12/07, and pregnant with baby number two due June 7, 2010.

MichelleJ1000
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM

No you wouldn't be a bad mommy if you cut the straps but I will say that babies wiggle at diaper time as they get older. Sometimes mamas have to hold the babies down and it is not easy. (picture mom and baby sitting/laying on floor for diaper change and mom has to put her leg over baby to keep him/her still)

ballewal
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Once your kid can roll over the straps are useless. My daughter would roll over and wriggle forward and couldn't be held in by the straps. She was maybe 6 months old then. 

CafeMom Tickers
dosthepost
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I never threaded mine. You don't have to cut them off. They will continue to be operative if you don't thread them through the sheet.

robbinsroost
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I have never used them. When my kids would not be still for a diper change I would change them on the floor. Much easier and safer. 

AliciasMommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM

my dd is two she refuses to use the toiler so i still have to use a changing table on occassio and you dont even have to walk off for them to try and roll off

mommyk5
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I never used them either, and thought it was a hassle.  but I did end up changing my kids on the floor or on my bed instead of the changing table after a while, it was just easier for me, and I didn't worry about them wiggling and falling off.  I say do what you want.

heydooney
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM

When I used a changing table, I used the straps to keep it attached to the table (it didn't have any sides), but I've never used them to strap either of my kids down. Now I just have a foldable pad that I throw on the floor when he needs a change and put away afterward. Since he's on the floor, now there's really no reason to strap him in.

Hi, I'm Danielle. Here I am in a nutshell:

MsKari77
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

"(picture mom and baby sitting/laying on floor for diaper change and mom has to put her leg over baby to keep him/her still)"

LOL I laugh, because that was me with my twins!!! 

I bought a dresser with my oldest child with the changing area, but I opted out of buying the changing table accessories. I have changed all four of my children's diapers on the floor on blanket. It was just easier for me, especially with the twins.

ThePinkRobot
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Snip snip!  I cut mine off.  You don't have to thread them but if the plastic gets between the pad and the table it makes the pad slip around a lot.  That's why I cut mine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)