Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice for newborn sleeping!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

I need to change my newborns habits from sleeping in the day to actually sleeping at night. How can I phase her into that? She is 2 weeks old.THANK YOU! Much appriciated as I am very tired!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Its hard for newborns.  My inlaws always said my one sister in law had her days and nights mixed up and it took her quite a while to straighten herself out.  They were really tired.  Good thing she was first of 4 kids because if she was 4th they would have been so tired.  MIL pretty much slept during the day when sil slept until she got her turned around. 

kenziejosmommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM

It is hard for newborns. you just have to try and keep them awake while htey're up during the day.. it took about 3 weeks for my son to get adjusted, about 3 months for my daughter :/ It was tiring..

DyerMaker
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM

develop a bedtime routine. Bathe your newborn (spongebath if needed) lotion, and swaddle. Once swaddled, cuddle and rock while either singing softly to her or reading a book. Every night, push back the routine 5 minutes. It is up to you as to when to put her down to sleep. Some people co-sleep, others will rock baby completely asleep, some wait until drowsy and lay baby down while stil awake. It is all up to what you feel is best for your baby. Trust your gut, and instincts. It may take a while for a routine to develop, but the earlier you start repeating a bedtime pattern, the sooner the baby will catch on.

As part of the routine when I adjusted my DS's schedule, I took him outside on our porch for about 5 minutes 4 times a day, I sang the same song to him every morning (sunrise) (you are my sunshine), At lunchtime we would go out and I would say the sun is up high!, around 4 o clock I will say oh, he's on his way down!, then at sunset. I tell him that the sun is going to sleep, and we start our bedtime routine every night, the same way. Sometimes repeating the same phrases can help. They may not understand what you are saying yet, but they are smarter than we think!

A computer beat me at Chess once, but it was no match for me at Kickboxing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)