Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amnio- has anyone had one... advice needed... pls read have to make decision tomorrow!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am 37 weeks. and my doctor wants me to get an amnio done so I can have the baby early at 38 weeks and 2 days... but I am low pain tolerant and have a needle phobia... If you have had one how bad did it hurt...

SAHM, Proud mommy of a 4 year old princess, a mommy of a beautiful angel baby Jensen, and baby #3 on the way!!! Married for 3 years to my wonderful navy man!!!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CODYSMOM_00
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM

i would do what was best for you. it's your body.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM

They wanted to do one, but I said no. Because 1) At the time I was scared to death of needles & pain. 2) They said there was a 1% chance of miscarriage & knowing my luck, I'd fall in that 1%. Good luck.

MILF062207
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Whats the point?  What they dont tell you @ 37 weeks, is that there is a chance of them hurting the baby with the needle.  Your baby is so crammed right now that even using the ultrasound at the same time, there is still a good chance of them hitting the baby.  So unless there is a VERY good reason (like if there is a high chance of your baby being in danger and they need a sample for that) then there really isn't a reason to get it done! 

I was suppose to get one done when I was prego and when I told the doctor no, he got mad and said "fine, i'll see you at the next appt"  It was like if he got mad cause he wasn't getting the money for it (they get paid a lot to do those).  Oh and I never saw him again... only his nurses!

Aamy
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Unless its life or death need, then i say no. Is there a reason your Dr wants to induce you so early ?? I never one , there's risk of infection, miscarriage, hurting the baby ..... i said no thanks. GL hun.

623Mexicana
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

i wouldn't do it.. you are very close to the end, and there's always this what if?? it kinda seems that he wants you to have your baby around his schedule.. unless there are some medical reasoning's for this, i wouldn't do it..  

busymartinmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

i had one with my first preg. I too HATED the thought of needles and even more so near my unborn baby! My doc wanted me to do it because i had an allergic reaction more or less to my unborn baby and it was giving me a serious rash and i would gouge up by tummy in my sleep itching! I was 37 1/2 weeks and they wanted to know if his lungs were developed for him to survive outside the womb or if i had to take steroids which would be dangerous. We opted to do the amnio and i didnt sleep from the day we planned it till it was done i was so freaked. I knew there was risk of miscarriage but my doc said that is only with the earlier aminos that all this might do it put me in labor even if baby wasnt ready. but it wasbig enought to survive. So anyway My hubby went with me and i right out told the doc doing the amnio i was completely freaked of needles and so he had my hubby hold both my hands and keep me looking at him. I NEVER SAW THE NEEDLE!!!!! My hubby said it is for the best that i didnt. They did local  numbing at the injection sight and i felt the little needle poke and than presure of the big needle and it wasnt comfortable but it was tollerable. Oh and you cant move while they are doing it either!  Good luck! If it is medically needed its probably good to suck up the fear for the safety of you and baby!   

tkarstens
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM

My son was born at 34 weeks and died at 5 months and 20 days to SIDS... right now I have severe hydronephrosis... which is fluid in my kidney that it is causing it to swell... the only solutions to stopping the incredible amount of pain is to either have her early or to be on pain meds the remainder... I am having a csection so they would be delivering her at 39 weeks 2 days if I go all the way... If not I would have her at 38 weeks and 2 days... the doctor is worried that for one if i have her early that her lungs will not be developed enough and 2 that prematurity or being born before 39 weeks has a greater chance of dying of SIDS... I am just so torn...

SAHM, Proud mommy of a 4 year old princess, a mommy of a beautiful angel baby Jensen, and baby #3 on the way!!! Married for 3 years to my wonderful navy man!!!

AProsser
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Ive had 2 Amnio done with NO problems. One with each pregnancy because of my diabetes my babys had to be delivered at 36 weeks. The amnio is slightly painful and uncomfortable while being inserted and while the doctor is drawing the fluid but the whole processes is very short.... I would say under five mins. The key to it all is to relax and close your eyes and remember that your doing it for the best interest of your baby. I dont think your doctor would want to do one unless it really needed to be done. The chances of it touching your baby, infection, or miscarrige is VERY low. I did alot of research on it and asked my doctor many questions in regards to it and felt very assured about doing it. Just do your own research about it.

tkarstens
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM

The main thing I am scared about is the pain.....

themountainmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Quoting tkarstens:

My son was born at 34 weeks and died at 5 months and 20 days to SIDS... right now I have severe hydronephrosis... which is fluid in my kidney that it is causing it to swell... the only solutions to stopping the incredible amount of pain is to either have her early or to be on pain meds the remainder... I am having a csection so they would be delivering her at 39 weeks 2 days if I go all the way... If not I would have her at 38 weeks and 2 days... the doctor is worried that for one if i have her early that her lungs will not be developed enough and 2 that prematurity or being born before 39 weeks has a greater chance of dying of SIDS... I am just so torn...

Saying prayers for you, this baby, and your family.  I can see your concern.  Best to you, mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)