Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need good advice for dealing with a trouble child

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

I need help my son (that is 6 years old) is so full of energy and getting out of control and doesn't want to listen. we're not sure what to do cause he does have some good days but has more bad days than good. the school is trying different methods with no luck of finding what works for him. does anyone have any suggestions they could offer that might help

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Savysmom05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Hi Anne,

My dd who just turned 4 is going through the exact same problem!! She will have some good but 9 times out of 10 she is just out of control. One thing we have tried with our dd is we started a good and naughty jar. I took her to a sporting goods store and she got to pick out what colored ping pong balls she would like to use for her jars. She of course picked the pink marble colored ones and was very excited. That night my SO and I sat down with 2 poster boards one "House Rules" and the other was "Savannah's Chores:" on the house rules board we put simple things she could understand like "use kind words" "be helpful" those sorts of things that my SO and I came up with together so we would be on the same page. With her chores list we came up with simple things children at her age could do like "always clean up your mess" or "help set the table". Then the following night we sat down with her and showed her the rules and her chores, we then brought out the good and naughty jars. We explained to her if you show us good behavior (we gave her examples of good behavior)  you will earn a good ball and it will go in the good jar, if you show us naughty behavior (then we gave her examples of naughty behavior) then you will lose a good ball from the good jar and it will go in the naughty jar. If you fill up the good jar all the way to the top then you will earn a reward, you get to pick ANYTHING you want to do and we will do it as a family, go swimming, rent a movie, go to the park...BUT if your naughty jar is full then you lose priveleges for a whole day (we chose to put her in her room). And her behavior has been slowly but surely improved and she has filled up her good jar a couple of times. I hope this helps and good luck!! Its definately not easy!!!

farrah
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM

What about karate, tae kwan do, or something similiar. It take discipline and self control, and they teach that both need to be proven in and out of the group setting. Also, do you have him on a set schedule, sometimes if things are fully scheduled out a child feels a little more in control, knows what to expect day to day, and can settle into that routine.

NGodshand
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM

my son which is six also has been haveing the same issues ive tried everthing snd the yeachers at school have to,,he also could not function at school rite,,i always said i would not put my child on meds!!!!! but he was getting n2 trouble wouldnt mind and its nt like i wouldnt whoop him,time out,take his things away,,ect,,,so i went t0 a behavior doc, i had to fill out a paper on him and sp did the teacher,,,we put him on adderall...the teacher could tell the first day,,he is such a different kid makeing good grades helping other kids n his class,,,,its time release so he does nt get zombie,,,,he feels so much better and im so happy that i could help him,,,good luck in wat ever u decide...

Ann76
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM

We made a drs appointment for him so we will be sure to ask him about med (adderall). Thank you

took son to dr appt. and was diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Concerta so we will hopefully see a difference in his behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)