Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic symptoms---head turning?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM
  • 5 Replies

I've read too many articles and have been working with children with disabilities for 13 years and now I'm a little freaked out that my on has been doing alot of shaking his head "no" and I don't think he knows what it means yet he is only nine months.  However he does do it after he is done eating but he does it at other times too.  Is this normal?  He is very interactive, social and talkative with babble.  He has said da da and mom but in last week I haven't heard it as much as I had in past couple months.  He appears to shake his head no just in normal play by himself too, even though he doesn't seem to be displaying any of the staring or not responding to his name ect....  help ease my mind    --- tazkitty

tazkitty

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bean06162004
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Don't get worried until he's around two, doctors can't even diagnose autism until that age.

SadieLynn22
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Quoting bean06162004:

Don't get worried until he's around two, doctors can't even diagnose autism until that age.

This is wrong info... my son was seen at 18mo for developmental delay (speech)... and started recieving services.
The sooner its caught the sooner they can find out the problem and help to treat it...

OP If you even have an inkling that there is something wrong contact your local ESD and have a screening done... give yourself some peace of mind.

lifetimelove
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:20 AM

My son went through a stage about the same age where he shook his head no ALL THE TIME.  It was like he figured out how to do it and he just enjoyed the movement.  He's almost 3 and definately does not have autism.

It lasted a few weeks.  If it lasts longer, then you might want to ask your doctor about it at the next appointment.  I think it's safe to say, however, to always trust your instincts.  As a mother of a special needs child, I can tell you that if you feel like something is wrong, knock over doors until you get some answers.

But personally, if the shaking head no is the only unusual behavior, I'd just watch a couple weeks and see what's up.  My reaction is that it's probably totally normal.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Waycross48
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Hi, from Nana Judy.  Sweetie, don't be alarmed about his behavior.  Babies at this age are very prone to repetitive behaviors like this.  They learn to wave their hands and they do it frequently, they learn to shake their head NO and they do that quite often.  This is very normal behavior.  You said that he's not exhibiting any of the other symptoms of autism so don't worry about these small repetitive movements.  He will probably do more of them.  After 50 years of childcare - I've seen this many times.  He's just experimenting with something new that he's learned to do.  He must like the way it feels to him.  Watch, he'll be doing a new one soon.   So, relax and don't worry.  He's fine. God Bless, Nana Judy

Braxmommy14
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I doubt it is anything to be alarmed by, especially if he isn't showing any other symptoms. I don't know a ton about Autism, but I did do my own research because my son was doing some of the things that they had mentioned as signs ( spinning tires on cars, speech delay ) Needless to say we had him evaluated and he is perfectly normal, and has since stopped a lot of the behaviors. So I wouldn't worry too much, you are aware of the other signs, so if he begins to display more, then maybe look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)