Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes~ (Please Add Yours!)

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:23 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi everyone!

With such a wide diversity of us from all over the world, I thought that those of us who celebrate and eat a Thanksgiving day meal would like to share some of their special recipes with the rest of us in the group.

Is there something about your sweet potatoes that the family just dives right in to eat? Do you add something to your stuffing/dressing to make it extra special? Can you bake a creation that you find there are no leftovers of at the end of the day?

We all want to know how you do it!  This is the place to share your recipes and to perhaps learn a new recipe from someone else that you might make as part of your Thanksgiving dinner tradition.

turkey dinner     cornucopia     pumpkin pie

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOnLI
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Sausage Moist Stuffing

I don't measure (so i am going to estimate what i have used in the past for feeding about 20 people)

2-3 loaves of stuffing bread

bunch of celery (the whole package thing)

6-10 onions

Water

1/2 can of Chicken Stock

2 sticks of unsalted butter

3-4 lbs of sausage w/o the casing

Thyme

salt & pepper to taste

cook sausage stuffing w/ 1 stick of butter in large frying pan

chop onion & celery into desired size, melt butter in a large pot (tall large pot)

saute onions and celery, until onions are translucent

throw in cooked sausage

add can of chicken stock

crumble bread in big chuncks

throw into pot

you want it moist NOT drenched.

add thyme, salt & pepper to taste

put in shallow baking pan

put in oven uncovered at 350 and bake to crispy

i know they have recipes for this.. but this is how i make it

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM

My green beans are VERY simple and I know alot of people who do them this way... I buy the middle sized cans and use 2 of them in a pot... I drain about an inch of the water into a medium sized pot and add 3 Tone's chicken buillon... Cook on about 3 until they reach a boil and them turn them down to low... I normally cook these when I start my potatoes and everything so that they are VERY tasty... Just keep stirring! They are GREAT!

Pudding dessert...

You need grham crackers, a pack of cream cheese, a large & a small whipped cream & a 4 oz. (Or the small size) of your favorite instand pudding ... 

Crush the graham crackers & press them into the bottom of a 13x9 inch cake pan...  Mix the large whipped cream & the SOFTENED cream cheese to where there are no lumps, layer that on top of the crust, then add your pudding (already fixed up), then layer that small whipped cream on top and sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs on top!  Put it in the fridge and it's yummy too!!! =D

Pineapple/orange cake...

1 pkg. yellow cake mix

1 (11 oz.) can of mandarin oranges

3/4 cups oil

4 eggs

Frosting

1 13.5 oz. coolwhip

1 3 oz. package vanilla instand pudding

1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple

Mix cake mix with oranges, juice & oil.. Add eggs one at a time & mix well.  Grease & flour 3 round 8 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.. Cool thoroughly..

Mix coolwhip, pudding & pineapple with some of the pineapple juice... Put in fridge.. Frost cakes and return to the fridge ( I always make the frosting before the cake and put in the fridge)

wedding planning

lundaylove
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM

We make a thing called Carrot n Turnip. It was my grandmas recipe she got from her grandmother back in England a long time ago. (my grandma lived in england the majority of her life)

1 package long carrots
3 large rutabegas or turnips (they taste the same)
salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp butter

Peel the outer waxy skin of turnip or rutabega, cut into small chunks
peel and cut the carrots to match size of turnips
boil until soft
drain and then mash with butter
add salt and pepper to taste

Its super simple, healthy and totally yummy and a big treat for our family and friends who share the holidays with us.

mom23sassyboys
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Wild Rice Casserole

1 lb pork sausage

1 cup cooked wid rice

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 can cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup

Fry the pork sausage in a pan, Once cooked, add the cooked wild rice, onions, celery, and cream of chicken soup.  Cook until hot and serve.  I usually put it in a crock pot once all cooked with a little water on keep warm to serve with the meal.  I use the water just to keep it moist and so it doesn't burn on bottom.

loves4mama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I'm looking for a green bean casserole if anyone has a good one plz share!

potato casserole

peel, boil, chop potatoes (not too fine but a little chunky still)

in bowl mix: 2 can cream of chicken, cheese, minced onion, 8oz sour cream ( you can add more or less depending on how creamy you want them)

in 9 x 13 layer potato, cheese mixture, potato, cheese mixture

cover top with cornflakes (light layer) and 6 tbs butter (not all in one spot)

cook on 350* or 400* till everything is warm and cheese is melted about 15 - 30 min. or you can go by how the cornflakes look.

PrydferthMenyw
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

We make a thing called Carrot n Turnip. It was my grandmas recipe she got from her grandmother back in England a long time ago. (my grandma lived in england the majority of her life)

1 package long carrots
3 large rutabegas or turnips (they taste the same)
salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp butter

Peel the outer waxy skin of turnip or rutabega, cut into small chunks
peel and cut the carrots to match size of turnips
boil until soft
drain and then mash with butter
add salt and pepper to taste

Its super simple, healthy and totally yummy and a big treat for our family and friends who share the holidays with us.

I LOVE turnips! I make something like this with turnips, carrots, and cooked keilbasa - a type of hash....yum!

swizzlefiz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM

My recipe is the easiest .... we wake up on Thanksgiving day, hop in the car and drive to my inlaws ... my MIL is such an amazing cook .... its awesome :)

xChasingxAmyx
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE  

30 ounces green beans, canned, drained *
10 3/4 ounces Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 cup milk
2 3/4 ounces French-fried onions
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine green beans, soup, milk, pepper and 1/2 of the onions; gently stir together to mix well. Spread mixture in a 1 1/2 to 2 quart ovenproof casserole dish.

Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Top with remaining onions. Bake 5 minutes more.

Cooks Note: *May substitute 18 ounces frozen cut green beans, thawed and drained.

Serving Size: 6

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Moderator

PrydferthMenyw
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Nannie's Candied Sweet Potatoes
8 medium sweet potatoes
Sugar
Cinnamon
Dark corn syrup (Karo brand is good)
Stick of butter

Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and cook in boiling water for about 15 minutes until fork can pierce to the center.  Cool; peel; slice lengthwise into thick slices (about 4 slices per potato).
In a lightly greased baking pan (bottom only) create these layers:
Layer of sugar & cinnamon as desired,
Layer of sweet potatoes,
Layer of sugar & cinnamon as desired,
Layer of sweet potatoes crossing the bottom layer of potatoes (different directions),
Continue until all the potatoes are used.
Pour the corn syrup all over the top.
Place pats of butter evenly over the top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

*Nannie is my husband's grandmother and she does not measure her ingredients so this was the best I could get out of her. They taste so delicious! 

Wolfiedara
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I make garlc mashed potatoes and homemade applesauce.  Both recipes are very easy.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes; (servings; approx 10 - 11, Cook Time; not sure, never kept track :-) )

• 5lbs of potatoes of your choice (I like the red ones)
  • 2-3 fresh garlic bulbs (I like mine to be very garlicky so you probably want to play with it a little bit.)
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3-4 Tbsp Oregano
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • Milk (not really a measurement, it's all subject to preference.)

To start with, either peel or scrub the potatoes thoroughly to get them clean.  Put them into a large pot (I have a stew pot that I use) and fill with water so that they are completely submerged.  Turn your burner to high until the water gets to a good boil and then lower to a med-high.  Check on the potatoes every 15 minutes or so to check consistancy.  If you chose to keep the peels on, they will be done when the peels start to split, if you chose to peel them you will want to pull the potato out to see if the center is soft. 

While you are boiling the potatoes;

• Melt butter into a small pan
  • mince the onion down into smallish pieces (I try to make sure the pieces are no bigger than a dime) and put into the pan with the butter.
  • peel all of the garlic cloves (*hint - if you put the clove down on a cutting board and lightly crush it with the flat side of a knife it will crack the shell) and mince all of cloves into very small pieces or for ease, use a garlic press.  Put the garlic into the pan with the butter and onions and saute on low to med heat.

Once the potatoes are done boiling, move into a large mixing bowl.  Use what ever you have available to start breaking the potatoes down into smaller bits and start the mashing process.  No need to have it mashed really well yet.  Once the potatoes have been broken down start to add hot milk a little at a time and mix in (if you heat one cup at a time, less will go to waste and using hot milks means you won't need to reheat for the meal.)  I have found that an electric mixer works really well for ease of mixing though it is possible to do by hand.  Once you have found the consistancy you want, add the oregano, pepper and the sauted butter, onions and garlic and stir in evenly.

Easy Homemade Applesauce (servings; approx 12-13.  Cook Time; Same as above)

• 5lbs of your favorite apples (I use Haralsons)
  • Natural cane sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
  • Ground cinnamon

Peel apples and cut into quarters lengthwise and then cut each quarter in half widthwise,and cut out the core.  Put pieces into a medium to large pot and turn burner to low to medium heat.  Walk away!  Only coming back to stir the apples every 15-20 minutes or so.  Apples will soften down and mash with the heat and stirring, no hard labor involved.  Once the applesauce is the consistancy you want (a little chunky, completely smooth) take off heat and add cinnamon and sugar to taste. Viola!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)