Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone be over the top?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:11 AM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Was the mother out of line?

Options:

Yes

No

No, but should have give a 30 day notice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

So I have a friend who is having some issues with her son and his girlfriend.  A topic I am sure is popular around here.  I've had some conflicting issues as to what to do and what to tell her as I don't feel I have the "experience" to know how to handle the situation or how I would handle it.

So the issue is this very plain and simply. 
The mother let her son and girlfriend live in her parents house in another city.  The agreement was he was supposed to hold at least a B average in school and that they take care of the house as it is furnished.  At the ages of 24 and 22 respectively, the son and girlfriend did not get jobs nor pay rent.  They lived there for 13 months. 

During this time the girlfriend brought in a cat.  The cat was caught several times doing damage to the house drapes, chairs, carpet, and various other "small" bits of damage.  The cat moved in literally 2 months after the kids moved in together.  On the 4th month after finding numerous amounts of damage such as ripped up drapes, ripped up sofas ends and chairs, chewed on wooden furniture, and peed on carpet the mother demanded that the cat be taken out of the house.

The girlfriends mother apparently did not want the cat around either so the son, being how he is, allowed the girlfriend to keep the cat in the house and secretly would get the girlfriend a hotel when the mother visited every so often.  After 13 months and finding more and more damage in the house even though the son swore that there was no cat, the mom demanded that the girlfriend and her stuff be put out of the house. 

She did not however give them a "30" day notice and the girlfriend and son are at odds as to whether or not the girlfriend should try to pursue legal action against the mother. 

Does anyone feel the mother was over the top on this?  Granted the mother should have given them legally a 30 day notice, but after letting the kids live there for over a year without paying rent at all and having been lied to almost the entire time, I don't feel she was in the wrong, but at the same time I can semi see why the girlfriend would be angry. 

But would I be wrong if I felt the mother was out of line?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
djdouglas60
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM

I think she has every right to do just what she did. It's her house. If the Girlfriend wants to bring charges, the mother should counter sue for all the damage to her house.

I believe that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM

I call it mooching if you are not working somewhere, anywhere for that long and then trying to sue.  I would kick them out now.  I can't believe they would allow a cat to destroy a house.  At age 22 and 24 they should be on their own if they want to live together.  I wouldn't care if my kids were at home at 24, I lived at home until 23 until I got married BUT I was working from 18 on and going to school and working part of the time. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM

I agree!!! 

Quoting djdouglas60:

I think she has every right to do just what she did. It's her house. If the Girlfriend wants to bring charges, the mother should counter sue for all the damage to her house.

APLove330
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM

she cant bring any charges against the mother what so ever. they werent paying rent, and she was doing them a favor. the judge would laugh in their faces. i dont disagree with the mothers actions at all. if they couldnt respect her wishes then she owes them nothing more, especially a 30 day notice.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:01 AM

HELL NO the mom isn't wrong.They didn't pay rent so doesn't have to give them any notice.They violated her rules, They sound like two selfish immature asses IMHO.

You can feel whatever you like.we are all entitled to have feelings.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)