Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel guilty when your kids are sick?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have 2 small children that seem to always be getting sick.  Both my DH and I were very sickly as children, so I'm sure that they are just following that.  However, I feel like it is some how my fault that they are always sick.  Like I don't feed them the right foods or get them the right excercises etc....In my HEAD I know this is not the case.  I breastfed to give them what I believed was the best start.  We eat pretty healthy, and most of us know you can't force a 2 yr old or a 4 yr old to eat all their fruits and veggies, you just keep offering.  They also get a daily vitamin. They both thinking washing their hands is fun.  What else can I do?   I just hate it when other moms make comments about my kids always being sick.  Like I need to justify it to them because they are judging me.  Anyone else ever feel like this?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ballewal
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Just another battle in the Mommy Wars. Don't let it get to you. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Kids get sick that is just part of life. The world is full of germs and you can't protect them from every single one. Don't be so hard on yourself because... IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!

swizzlefiz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

My DD was getting sick A LOT and we started getting her the yogurt drink w/ the imuni - something in it.  It really has helped her a lot ... she calls it her antibody juice.  Try not to feel bad though ... kids will get sick no matter what you try to do ... as much as we'd all like to, we can't keep them in a bubble :)

mama310583
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I cant say I do...

ajswenson
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Thanks ladies.  I just have one of those personalities that I feel guilty about everything b/c I want to be the BEST at everything and then feel like something is wrong with that.  UGH!! Thanks for the nice comments.  Oh, and we eat yogurt like it's going out of style so I will check and see what that immunity one is all about at the store next time.

mygardenia
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM

My niece and nephew are always sick aswell. So is their mother. This is just part of life. If your kids are happy and loved then who cares. It doesn't matter how you parent your kids, someone will always be commenting on somwthing they think may be bad or good or whatever so that is just unavoidable. 

I love my thing one and my thing two. I believe that children who get dirty tend to be healthier. Becoming a mother has made me into the woman I have always wanted to be. 

lovemybabys1106
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

My oldest daughter was the healthiest kid I had ever seen. My youngest on the other had is 10 months old and been sick 3 times already. once was teething once she got a cold I had and then she scratched her eye and we thought it was pink eye. There was nothing that I could have done differently but I still feel guilty. Thats just the way it is for some moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)