Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underwear question for a potty training child

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 15 mo has shown interest and actually will use the potty so he's training. I'm wondering where to find real underwear for him. Right now we're using pull-ups and satisfied with them so if he has an accident, no biggie and it gets him used to the up and down of the underwear. I do not want him to go naked around the house until he can actually vocalize that he needs to go. He does not say a lot of words and cannot tell me when he needs to go potty. I am looking for the underwear just to put on him from time to time. He's 15 months and weighs 26 lbs and I'm actually wondering if putting him in a 2T would be too large on him or if you think maybe it would work. TIA

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

if he can't tell you when he needs to use the potty, he is too young IMO 

ajswenson
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

2t should be fine.

lcbowman
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Buy the same size underwear that he wears in pants.  So if he wears 2T in pants then yes get 2T underwear.

nikkiJ86
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Quoting ajswenson:

2t should be fine.

swizzlefiz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM

2T should be fine ... also though, you may want to teach him the sign for potty.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure you could look it up. 

With my DD I noticed that when she had to pee she pulled up on her pants and when she had to poop she put her hands over her bottom and walked funny.  You might be able to figure out what he does if you watch him closely.  GL potty training so early :)

xChasingxAmyx
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I would get the thick training underpants instead of the regular thinner underwear. The training pants have a padding in them. They are normally at WalMart or Target.

And I agree with a PP, teach your lil one the sign for potty. That might help.

Good luck!

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Moderator

01.Amey.07
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

2T will work. My DD is 2 1/2 and barely 23 lbs, she wears the 2T and they fit fine. I bought her the thicker Gerber training pants at Walmart (they are with the sippy cups at mine, where the packages of onesies are) in the beginning and she now wears regular cotton panties.

SouthALMommy
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM

He has other ways of telling me when he needs to go other than saying it. He goes to the bathroom, sits on the toilet and if he's still in his training pants, pees in his pants while he's on the toilet. However with our house we have to keep rooms blocked off unless myself of my husband are in them. One is our bedroom which has the only working bathroom in it so unless one of us takes him, he doesn't make it to the bathroom on time. IMO, just because a child cannot say "potty" or "I need to pee pee" doesn't mean they're too young to potty train. I'm not pushing him. It's him doing it so please don't get that idea.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

if he can't tell you when he needs to use the potty, he is too young IMO 

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

Kalebs_Momma
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Whatever size he wears in pants should be fine.  He really does need to be able to communicate though before he's going to be fully trained.  Also, I'd buy cheap underwear because most likely he's going to have accidents in them.  Save the expensive characters for when he is more trained.   

KalebsMomma.gif siggy picture by mstachyr

Do you live in Southern Nevada and want to meet mommy friends? Check us out!: http://www.cafemom.com/group/hendersonmommies

nikki0522
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)