Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hmmm, need your advice - is this a scam???

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

I wrote a post a few months ago titled "I've been depressed for awhile now and I can't control it anymore" here is the link http://www.cafemom.com/group/33201/forums/read/9542298/Ive_been_depressed_for_awhile_now_and_I_cant_control_it_anymore_Im_wanting_to_go_to_the_hospital_UPD...

If you look at comment #39, I need to know if you think this is valid. I'm suspicious because if this "producer" worked for the Dr. OZ show wouldn't they have an email address like "droz.com" or something like that and not some "gmail" address?????

• MedicalShow
  • by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM
  • Hi- I am a producer on the Dr. Oz Show. We are working on a segment on Depression and we are looking to help those who have not yet been diagnosed. Please let me know if you maybe interested. You can email me at medicalshowreporter@gmail.com.

I'm a SAHM to 4 children, Mommy to Irish Twins, married to my best friend, breastfeeding, circumsizing, anti CIO, spanking when needed, kids don't get away with much, NIP and don't care what you see b/c my child has a right to eat, keep a clean house, non husband bashing, LOVE to laugh, smart ass kind of Mommy. Nice to meet you.

"Natural feeding is the duty of every
mother and the birthright of every child"

"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby." ~Amy Spangler

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
xChasingxAmyx
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:14 PM

My gut says scam, but I would still email out of sheer curiosity though. :o)

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Moderator

canthaveboys1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I dont know, but I sure would not respond to it.  

djdouglas60
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Even if it is valid, they have no business trying to recruit for their show on here. they should be reported. I think TV shows exploit people in the worst way.

I believe that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

inmybizz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM

looks fishy.. The profile is new, nothing is completed on the profile..it seem if they are soliciting people the profile page would look different ( legit)....

MommyOnLI
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Nope.  Dr Oz is a new TV show... he has been on Oprah many many times....

hes a great Dr.

http://www.doctoroz.com/?hs308=DRZ009&kw={}

Mantybat
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I don't know, but the truth is that alot of people these days are getting gmail emails for their work. Sometimes especially since employees come and go so frequently they end up using general emails instead of taking the time to create and change business emails constantly.  In my work I have seen many lawyers and big company people have gmail addresses and I always wonder the same thing you thought.

If you would like to find out you can always send them an email, just make sure you don't give out any personal info unless you have a confirmed id on the person that is contacting you.

Good Luck

Valerie429
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I would be very cautious of the gmail email in itself.  I have a specific email account that I use for stuff that I get spam on alot.  So maybe you could do that.

sexeegyrl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Alright, I just looked at their website that someone posted and they have a section "Be on the Show" and they do have an upcoming episode on "Depression"...maybe I'll email them.

I'll see how I feel if I get a reply... Thank you

I'm a SAHM to 4 children, Mommy to Irish Twins, married to my best friend, breastfeeding, circumsizing, anti CIO, spanking when needed, kids don't get away with much, NIP and don't care what you see b/c my child has a right to eat, keep a clean house, non husband bashing, LOVE to laugh, smart ass kind of Mommy. Nice to meet you.

"Natural feeding is the duty of every
mother and the birthright of every child"

"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby." ~Amy Spangler

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

well alot of groups have the rule of no advertisment.. and that seems like advertisment.. one of the reasons websites dont want advertisment is because there are so many scams.. i wouldnt go there or do that. go through a doctor if you need something. or just search the web for your own info about other things similar to what they are talking about. if it is legit they would have a website about the product or 'segment'.. email it i guess but if they dont send a web link than it is a scam.. and if the web does not have mla citing at the bottom and pl;ace of address and info links other than a paragraph or so it is not real. google what to look for to see if a site is real or not.. we learned about it in college. and if they dont have a website then what kind of segment would it be because segments take alot of money and if they dont have the proper advertisment then its a joke.. or scam.

also i didnt have time to read all the stuff you wrote about being depressed, but i want to throw my input out there. take it or leave it..

my father is manic depressant and bipolar.. often diagnosed as 'depressed'.. these segments often do not diagnose you properly and there are medicines that effect youi differently because they are not oppropriate for your body.. zanex if very commenly given to people, a little to often.. and they prescribed it to my dad thinking he had depression.. but since he was manic it made him not care about anything and when he didnt take it he would blow up in anger because all of a sudden everything seems out of place because you have let everything you used to care about go and then you realize omg! i have so much to do.. then he gets obsessive about getting it done.. i would just reccomend going to a doctor.. a few doctors and get peoples opinions before you take anything.. depression medicines have so many effects on your body you might be able to handle it in other ways that a few doctors might have ideas.. im scared to take anything like that even though i sometimes go through depressive phases because i dont know how it will change my place as a good mommy.

i hope you start to feel better! i know how much it can take over your life!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)