Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADD & ADHD

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

when i was in second grade i was diagnosed with attention def disorder.. i still take adderall for it and i feel like the medicine has completely taken over my life. my boyfriend says i should stop taking it but i feel like it will never end. i dont even feel like i need it to concentrate anymore.. im eighteen now and its like.. willi be taking this medicine when im 50??! when i take it i can go to the gym and run 5 miles, do all my school work, clean the entire house, and play with my kids and im in a great mood.. when i dont take it i want to eat everything in sight, sleep all the time, i get irritable, have no sex drive, and will not work out at all.. it also helps me lose weight and i know i cannot maintain a healthy lifestyle or weight without it.

well, me and my dad were talking about my daughter and i said i would never want to put her on it. i think kids just need more one on one time if they are having a hard time learning or discipline issues. i have seen children who are adhd and are completely out of control who destroy things and cannot be handled, but they hated taking their medicine because it made them a zombie. my father said that he thinks if a kid needs it then they should be on it..

my daughter so far hasnt had any problems but she is only two. im not asking advice if i should put her on it at all.. i just want other peoples opinions on how they feel about this and what they would do in the situation.

i dont want my child to suffer from the eating and depression problems i have later on in life just because she had a harder time with acting out and paying attention.

what are yalls views? do any of yall have kids that you absolutely had to put them on it? how did it help or not help them? i cant remember how it helped me before but now i am taking it for the wrong reasons i think.. its just so hard to stop taking something that you have been used to taking for over ten years.

i hope i explained all this right. there are so many different views about this.. what are yours?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lcbowman
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM

IMO if the medicine zombies them out they are not truly ADHD, they need discipline and structure.  You yourself know the difference when you take it verses not taking it,  lol it does not make you a zombie.  I think the medication is WAY over prescribed but IF you need it then it helps.  Like any medication if you do not need it you should not take it.  JMO. 

CODYSMOM_00
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM

when ds was in kindergarten the school tried to talk me and dh into putting ds on it. but we did't because of the side effects. now ds is in third grade and on the honor roll making highest honors!!!!! i think that medicine is not the answer. i hope you find a way to get off of it too!!!! good luck!!!

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Quoting lcbowman:

IMO if the medicine zombies them out they are not truly ADHD, they need discipline and structure.  You yourself know the difference when you take it verses not taking it,  lol it does not make you a zombie.  I think the medication is WAY over prescribed but IF you need it then it helps.  Like any medication if you do not need it you should not take it.  JMO. 

I agree. ADHD doesn't automatically mean that they need meds. Some kids do well without meds by using other options.I think it depends on that individual child.

My daughter has ADHD-Combination Type. We tried other options before going with meds.For her, meds are a huge help. They help her tremendously in school. They don't make her a zombie, and fortuantely, her appetite is fine. Her doctors keep an eye on any changes and if needed, take her off of them.

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I was 26 and I was put on Adderall. It made a huge difference for me (very similar to what you described it does for you). However, when I got pregnant I had to go off of it, and since I bf, I still can't take it. The medication makes life easier for me but it's possible to deal with ADD without medication. You can look it up online but there are a lot of different suggestions to try to get ADD under control without medication. It's a struggle but it's not impossible. At thispoint, a part of me would like to go back on the medication, but it's far more important to me that I bf my dd, and my dh and I plan to start trying for baby #2 after my dd's first birthday so it's not looking like I'll be able to take it again anytime in the near future.

CafeMom Tickers

HaileysMom07180
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I have ADHD.  It's mild hyperness, but I do fidget and am extremely hyper.  I do struggle a lot with depression, need to sleep or fatigue and I definately have a lower sex drive than most.  I could probably survive completely without it.  I recently got a book about herbal alternatives to prescriptions that doctors give that could potentially make you too dependant.  I'll pull it out and give you a couple things out of it.  The book is Prescription for Herbal Healing by Phyllis A. Balch.

Ginkgo 2 or Ginkgolide tablets.  You would take 160-180 mg 3 times a day.  It's listed as the best herb for adults with ADD.

Good luck the section for ADD is quite large but this is the herb I've considered taking.  I haven't had medications since high school and I can really feel my body starting to react to it.

CafeMom Tickers
TiredMommy6906
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM

My sister just turned 18 a couple of days ago and she is also on it for ADHD. She was well-behaved before they started her on medication when she was 6, however, she was also doing handstands on the couch, when watching TV. She couldn't stop and concentrate on ANYTHING. She did what she was told, until she got distracted. But, she wasn't out of control or destroyed everything. She just got distracted easily and when she got mad, fists were flying. Lol.

Yes, she NEEDS her medication. The medication is supposed to help her irritability and concentration. When she is not on it, she is grouchy, depressed, and can't get anything done. I can tell when she is not on it immediately, because it takes her 2 hours to just get dressed. 

I think medication is very useful, but I think people should be put on the very minimum dosages and slowly increased as needed. When my cousins were put on medication, they were put on too high of medications and became zombie-like. My sister never became zombie-like. 

All that being said, if it were my daughter, I would try everything else before medication. And, then, start with the absolute lowest amount of medication and work our way up there.

I should also say that my sister has a fear of taking medication all of her life as well. I do know that some people grow out of ADD/ADHD, depending upon the severity of the symptoms. My sister will not grow out of it.

good luck

623Mexicana
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM

i would medicate my kid.. in fact, i might have to.. my oldest son is showing signs of Aspergers and a little of ADD, and my youngest might have ADHD... this stuff runs on both sides..

my mother was told to medicate me as a child.. i had the same issues my son had.. she didn't think i needed it, because i was a kid on the Honor Roll, and i was really thriving in school. besides, people in those days didn't medicate their kids, and the ones who did, were bashed in the community... i wish to god she did get me help, or at least a diagnosis.... my symptoms got worse. i don't blame my parents for any of my troubles.. i just wish they understood how hard it was for me. it was difficult trying to explain things to them, without coming off a little loopy, so i mostly kept it to myself...

even though i was still bringing home perfect grades, i was really suffering socially.. it was more than shyness... i couldn't sit still, and i could hardly pay attention.. every year it got harder and harder.. i still did great, but my mind is always elsewhere, even when i didn't want it to be. i have such miserable trouble reading. it was always bad, but i was able to control it.. i see things backwards sometimes.. letters and numbers were either getting reversed, or looked similar in my mind. at 27 i still struggle, but now i know enough not to let my sons go through what i have to live with.. i am in the process of getting my oldest help, and my youngest might need it too.. i will give them medicine if the diagnosis calls for it... i don't judge anyone who does or doesn't.. in the end its up to you to see whats best, but if it is so bad that meds are needed, then they should be taken.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Quoting CODYSMOM_00:

when ds was in kindergarten the school tried to talk me and dh into putting ds on it. but we did't because of the side effects. now ds is in third grade and on the honor roll making highest honors!!!!! i think that medicine is not the answer. i hope you find a way to get off of it too!!!! good luck!!!

see i agree, i think it could have alot to do with who their teachers are.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Quoting rebeccasmommy09:

I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I was 26 and I was put on Adderall. It made a huge difference for me (very similar to what you described it does for you). However, when I got pregnant I had to go off of it, and since I bf, I still can't take it. The medication makes life easier for me but it's possible to deal with ADD without medication. You can look it up online but there are a lot of different suggestions to try to get ADD under control without medication. It's a struggle but it's not impossible. At thispoint, a part of me would like to go back on the medication, but it's far more important to me that I bf my dd, and my dh and I plan to start trying for baby #2 after my dd's first birthday so it's not looking like I'll be able to take it again anytime in the near future.

ya when i got pregnant and stopped taking it, i just ate alllll the time. it was horrible. i ate way to much. i looked very unhealthy at nine months. i went from 115 to 180 from the beginning to end. i know it isbecause i dont have good eating habits because im used to adderal taking care of my appetite.

smiley_mylie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

I have ADHD.  It's mild hyperness, but I do fidget and am extremely hyper.  I do struggle a lot with depression, need to sleep or fatigue and I definately have a lower sex drive than most.  I could probably survive completely without it.  I recently got a book about herbal alternatives to prescriptions that doctors give that could potentially make you too dependant.  I'll pull it out and give you a couple things out of it.  The book is Prescription for Herbal Healing by Phyllis A. Balch.

Ginkgo 2 or Ginkgolide tablets.  You would take 160-180 mg 3 times a day.  It's listed as the best herb for adults with ADD.

Good luck the section for ADD is quite large but this is the herb I've considered taking.  I haven't had medications since high school and I can really feel my body starting to react to it.

how many mg of adderal did you take in highschool. im going to look into that but i want to see if there is a difference in how much i could take. i take 20 mg of adderall a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)