Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you stop using Dreft the Laundry detergent

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM
  • 24 Replies

When do you use regular laundry detergent for your child? And do you use fabric softener or not yet on their clothes? Thanks

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Jill_
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Depends on the child. With my daughter I had to use Dreft for the first year or so, because of her very sensitive skin. With my new son, I haven't had to change detergents, or stop using fabric softener. If you're worried about transitioning to real detergent, try a load of your child's clothes ONLY, and use half the normal amount of detergent. If his/her skin doesn't become irritated, then I wouldn't stress about mixing their clothes with yours and your detergent.

xChasingxAmyx
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM

My first child I used Dreft for what felt like forever. My second baby, I washed all the clothes in Dreft before he wore them, and then a few loads after. After that, he got regular detergent and was fine.

But it depends on your child's skin sensitivty really.

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Moderator

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

With my son a few months.  I'm not using Dreft with this one.  I use a natural dye free and fragrance free detergent that IMO is much better than Dreft.

ballewal
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I have never used Dreft. It's a waste of money. I've always used fragrance and dye free detergent for all the clothes I wash. 

mandalouwhotn
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:50 PM

We didn't use it for either of our boys.

tanya_marieh
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I make my own detergent so I never used dreft.  I also never use dryer sheets.  That's me though. LOL

ballewal
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener either. Do you make liquid or powder detergent? 

Quoting tanya_marieh:

I make my own detergent so I never used dreft.  I also never use dryer sheets.  That's me though. LOL

Alyssasmommy412
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM

For my first DD I bought one bottle of Dreft when that was gone I went to a detergent that was hypoallergenic free of perfumes and clear of dyes. I never bought any for DD 2. As for fabric softner I don't use that on their clothes because the tags on DD 2 (2.5 months old) says not to and I wash their clothes together. I think other detergents are just as good and not nearly as expensive as Dreft.

lexismum03
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I stopped using it when I realized it was what was giving me migranes...lol I loved the smell but when the dryer was running the smell from the detergent made my head throb and me sick! So after the first two washes her clothes went to regular detergent.

And Wife of a soon to be Police officer!

Susan0805
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I use regular detergent from birth...I think with my first I washed all her newborn clothes in dreft before she was born to prepare but after that I use regular... my husband has ecszema so I have to use a mild soap anyway, if he can handle it the kids can too :-)

~*~ Proud mommy to Hannah and taylon & wifey to bobby! ~*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)