Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black Friday - Waste of time?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

My friend wants me to go BF shopping with her so badly. I see the ads for Black Friday and I must admit, I am not impressed nor am I inclined to wake up that early to save $20 here and there. I feel like BF is just a gimmick to get you in the store. Once you are there, the hot ticket items are then gone. Then you are forced to fill your cart up with junk you don't need to begin with because you're now substituting this for that.

So  tell me... What was your best find? How much did you save? Was it worth it? Have you ever gone and felt like it was a complete waste of time?

Thanks ladies!

ETA: I also want to say that I don't feel this is a good way to kick off the season by trying to beat out other people to the products by racing and trying to get ahead of them with your carts etc. To me, it seems like a very negative way to start the Holidays :o(

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Moderator

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanya_marieh
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I can't help because I can't stand being bunched in with that many people.

ballewal
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I go in the late morning or early afternoon. There is nothing I need badly enough to get up at 4 am for. But last year I got an electric hard floor sweeper and vacuum for good deals. 

mandalouwhotn
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I go every year.  Lat year I got Thomas the train sets and board games B1G1F at Kmart and saved over $200.  This year I am getting a TV 1/2 price at Target.  I think there are some good deals, but I love to shop.  I can understand why some people don;t like it, it can get kinda crazy!

jeweledolphin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I dont really do the whole black friday thing. but this year, walmart i hear is starting their deals Thanksgiving day so more people can shop and get the items they want without the huge rush of people friday morning.i havent looked at any flyers for any of the stores cuz I know theres no way I can go this year (even if i wanted to). but in the pastwhen I have gone or looked at flyers you can save quite a bit of money on their deals.

canthaveboys1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I have been once a few years ago. I am going to attempt it again. some places have a list of things to buy online and get the prices. Its probably safer that way. I love a bargain, but I saw fistfights in stores the last time. It was a nuthouse to say the least.

My best friend of 20 years refuses to go with me this year. She woudl give me an organ if i needed it, but she will not do this.  

momofne
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I don't. I think it's a big waste of time and gas if your going to more than one place. I'd rather do my shopping online.

SheHoldsTheKey
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I can't go this year even if I wanted to, since I work. :(

Last year I went out, but it was pretty much a spur of the moment decision. I couldn't sleep anyways and was flipping through the ads and saw some really good deals on things I wanted to get for my daughter. But that was the first year I went.

I think the only way it's really worth it is if you are buying a lot of stuff that's all on sale, or a big ticket item and you can be one of the first in line and actually get one. Otherwise, there will be sales for the next month that I'll be taking advantage of!!

Lilypie
Nenasam
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I have never woke up that early on black Friday.. nothing that I want so bad to wake that early lol.. I would never do ever lol..

swizzlefiz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Last year I got king size 600 thread count sheet set for $20 ... that rocked!  Got a down comforter(king size) for $25 ...... I love BF shopping.  I'm one of the ones up at 3 am getting ready!  My friend and I make out a plan the night before ... we usually get what we want ... also ... we NEVER buy things that aren't on our list .... thats how they get you!  You get what you went to get and thats it!  I can't wait!  I hope I get some $2 DVDs this year ... 2 yrs ago I got A LOT of really good DVDs for $2 a piece.... oohhh can't wait!!

247mamaandwife
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

ehhh depends if you need the big ticket items on sale  normally i dont

Stupidity Pictures, Images and Photos  funny quotes Pictures, Images and Photos   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)