Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one? (used clothes)

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM
  • 40 Replies

Am I the only one who HATES used clothes from a thrift store or yard sale or such?  I love getting used clothes from people I know but somehow the ones that I don't know where they come from gross me out.  I guess I've seen too many kids do too many NASTY things in clothes and a lot of the ones I see look so worn out.  Also, they STINK!  The consignment store here sells used clothes for the same price I get them at the osh kosh outlet brand new for my son so what's the point.  Sure if I had no choice I would buy them but when it's the same price?  No thank you!

*edit* Ok, let me tell you what the thrift stores where I live are like.  The clothes look like they have been through 10 kids and a pair of pants is $5.   A shirt is $3.  I could buy new for that price!  I did buy my son a pair of snowboots (which I washed of course) because they were on sale for $2 and he will only wear them when we go to my parent's cabin but as a general rule everything is overpriced and overworn!  If things were different and I could find new or like new clothes sure I would buy them but NOBODY around here has them!  Oh, and the thrift stores smell like a combo of cigarette smoke, kitty litter, dust, grime, and manure (because I live in the country) so yeah, gross!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballewal
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I have no problem with used clothes. I wear them all the time. You wash them, they're fine. And nothing beats a cut outfit from the thrift store for under a dollar. 

Aamy
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:05 PM

What, do you want a cookie ??? Its not like your buying the clothes , running home and sticking them on your child. Hmmm you WASH clothes that you buy BEFORE you wear them. Glad to see such stuck up ppl out there.You dont think YOUR kids dont do "nasty" things in their clothes ??? Yeah ...... Dont like them thats fine and dandy, but you know some ppl dont get to be so shallow and stuck up and get to buy brand new clothes for their kids. Walk a month or 2 in their shoes ...... Love to see that.

pepsi-cola
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:06 PM

most of my familys clothes come from yard sales,thrift stores,when your barely getting by and your kids needs clothes you do what you must to provide.i will bring them home and wash them before they are wore! now if i had plenty of money i would buy new but with my big family we can't afford it.but i would not pay a price for something used if it cost as much as new!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I don't buy used clothes at all.

We do donate all of the stuff we don't need anymore to a thrift store, pregnancy centre or womens shelter. I used to give it away to friends, but it bothered me when I would see them listing the swing, bumbo, or clothes etc. on the mom swap groups for our city on Facebook. I GAVE them that stuff and then I see them selling the outfits for at least $5 or $10... My swing was listed on there for $130! Anyway lol, I was pissed. We try and keep our clothing in good condition and we don't buy used.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Geez, I was just asking if anybody thought the same, not putting down anybody who does this and I said that I would buy them if I had to, I just prefer not to!

It's just one of those things I am strange about and I realize this so get a grip!

Quoting Aamy:

What, do you want a cookie ??? Its not like your buying the clothes , running home and sticking them on your child. Hmmm you WASH clothes that you buy BEFORE you wear them. Glad to see such stuck up ppl out there.You dont think YOUR kids dont do "nasty" things in their clothes ??? Yeah ...... Dont like them thats fine and dandy, but you know some ppl dont get to be so shallow and stuck up and get to buy brand new clothes for their kids. Walk a month or 2 in their shoes ...... Love to see that.

luvs4baby
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM
Quoting Aamy:

No need to be so rude to her. She was just asking a question and stating her opinion! Holy crap! Some people are so inconsiderate.

Michele79
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I have no problem with used clothes.
Obviously I wash them before my son wears them, and I also don't buy anything with stains, rips, or holes in them. I just got a ton of Gap, Calvin Klein and J. Crew stuff from a thrift store  (a couple sweaters, shirt and a pair of jeans) for $10 because they were having a 50% off sale. No one would ever know they were used (or that MOST of his wardrobe was previously owned by someone else), they looked brand new. I also buy alot of stuff on Ebay for cheap too. I don't have alot of nice name brand stores in my town either.

luvs4baby
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I personally don't mind buying clothes from second hand stores and don't mind hand me downs as long as they're in good condition. I'll wash them and use color safe bleech before I let my little one wear them. The only things I wont buy from second hand stores is underwear, hats, and stuffed animals.

misssy2000
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I love used clothing. I love good deals. M y children have tons of clothing and I al glad I am able to find them for cheap. I don't do thrift store because I find those clothes outdated. I like craigslist and once upon a child and yard sales. I got lots of new with tags clothing from a year sale. My kids wear mostly gap, old navy, target, children's place, and marshalls a little gymboree(i hate there colthing) and I haven't paid very much for any of it. But yeah I dont care waht the last kids did in the clthing because even the new stuff we have to wash because that stuff can be dirty, plus my kids need clothing all the time and so theres really no point n me breaking the bank over them.

hailismom0402
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM

If you are talking about baby clothes then I don't see a problem with buying used baby clothes for our baby for the reasons being- babies don't wear their clothes long enough to have them be "worn" out because they grow so fast, & it SAVES alot of money! We have bought some clothes from a local 2nd hand store and didn't pay hardly a dime and even bought more than 1 item. I won't buy clothes that have stains, or look ratty/really bad but the ones we have bought I just make sure to wash them just as I do with brand new clothes before I dress the baby in them.

If you are talking about yourself/ourselves I am hesitant about buying 2nd hand clothes and I'm not saying I haven't done that but don't do it hardly at all. For example I bought a few dress shirts (name brand) for work and only paid like a doller for each. There are certain things that I definatly will not buy used i.e.- bra, underwear, ect Just wash the clothes before you wear them.

A person can save alot of mone by buying 2nd hand especially when money is tight for people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)