Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do we do???

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: What would be best

Options:

Kick them out for not RSVPing but keep the gift

not my problem - if we run out of room/food they will know better next time

eat then move break down the tables and set up chairs for the shower part

have chairs set up and eat while opening gifts

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

I live 10 hrs away from home my sister is throwing me a baby shower the sat after Thanksgiving.  The place we rented has a capicity of 40 people so when sending out the invites we used the "30%" rule and sent out like 90 to 100 . . . so far 41 people have RSVP'd and many of the people we know have the horrible habbit of just showing up. We never expected that so many people would rsvp or even be able to come with less than 3 weeks notice. What do you suggest we do if too many people show up and we don't have enough room, food, game supplies, etc?

please vote and say why

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
themountainmama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM

the hostess needs to followup with phone calls asking for a regret or acceptance of the invitation.  if you pass capacity, you need to change venues or see if you can rent a larger space or at least find out what happens if you pass capacity, the center may shut it down for fire code violations. if you can accommodate more people and think you'll run short of food and activities, just open the bar.  ok, just kidding.  definitely plan a little extra food.   

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM

As much as I hate eating on my lap, it seems your best choice. Frequently showers I attend involve getting your food from the table and taking it back to your chair for eating. Then there is the problem of dealing with a beverage, and if you stick the beverage cup under your chair, someone ends up kicking it and there you go.

If you are able to have more than 40 with chairs instead of tables, this would solve the problem-  if the limit of 40 is a fire code, then you can't do it. Maybe it would be possible to arrange the tables somehow so that they fit more people.

Remember that there may well be lots of no-shows, even if they say they are coming- people get the flu or other unexpected reasons.  So I suspect it will all work out in the end.

Just in case though, get enough food to cover the possibility of extra people coming, which you mentioned is likely. It is far better to have too much food than not enough. and too many chairs than not enough.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

swtabbga
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

i don't know if it is a fire code thing or a table thing.  When we called about set up she said the number of people that can fit depends on the way they arrange the room . . . the number they gave us was 40.

Quoting Bmat:

As much as I hate eating on my lap, it seems your best choice. Frequently showers I attend involve getting your food from the table and taking it back to your chair for eating. Then there is the problem of dealing with a beverage, and if you stick the beverage cup under your chair, someone ends up kicking it and there you go.

If you are able to have more than 40 with chairs instead of tables, this would solve the problem-  if the limit of 40 is a fire code, then you can't do it. Maybe it would be possible to arrange the tables somehow so that they fit more people.

Remember that there may well be lots of no-shows, even if they say they are coming- people get the flu or other unexpected reasons.  So I suspect it will all work out in the end.

Just in case though, get enough food to cover the possibility of extra people coming, which you mentioned is likely. It is far better to have too much food than not enough. and too many chairs than not enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)