Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler won't eat meats

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello ladies,

This really isn't much of a concern to me right now but I was just wondering if any of your childeren have went through this, So my daughter (whom is 2)  will only eat chicken it seems ..sometimes fish but she will not eat steak and porkchop...or most anything else meaty I have tried telling her to atleast taste it first..but she won't lol..anyone else experience this? And if so did your DD or DS come out of it ?

she eats about everything else..though!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2MonstersxMommy
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM

LUCKY! My son will only eat chicken on occasion!! He used to NEVER eat any meat, until he found mcd's double cheeseburgers-not healthy, but it's almost meat lol I give my son a multivitamin just to ease my mind, but I would talk to your pedi about doing an iron test to make sure she is getting enough!

God Bless:)

NoahsMommy7974
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM

My son is 9 now and he's still like that. I find he will eat meat more if we go out, but some he won't eat at home like hamburger.

When he will younger like your daughter he wouldn't eat meat. Chicken maybe but he was almost a vegetarian. Hes grown out of it and has over time learned to like more and more foods.

themountainmama

Does she have sensory issues?  Swallow issues?  Reflux?  She may not like how the food feels in her mouth, between her teeth or on the way down more than not liking the flavor.  One of my kids didn't eat meat until he was 12 year old.  He wasn't a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but rather because he had reflux and swallowing was an issue sometimes.  He still only eats fillet or an occassional very lean beef burger, never fast food or restaurant burgers.  He eats chicken, baked or grilled, not breaded/fried. 

ballewal

Make sure she's getting enough protein from non-meat sources. 

canthaveboys1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM

My now 5 y/o is the same way. She always has been. Sometimes I just tell her its chicken. She eats like a bird all the time and the doc said she is fine. So I just let it be, with her I pick my battles!! 

NEWMOMOF1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM

My two will only eat chicken too. No other meat yet. Ugh and they are 3yrs and 19 months

caramia27
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Yeah this is a very normal phase for MANY toddlers.. I don't have the issue personally, but my SIL did with my nephew.  It's nothing I'd stress myself over.. my pediatrician told me meat is NOT necessary... Just find other ways to get in the protein and make sure they take a chewable vitamin.

Pregnancy ticker

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM

That's actually good. I won't feed my kids red meat or pork.

They eat a lot of fish, turkey, chicken and get protein from other sources such as beans (baked, kidney, chickpeas, edamame, black etc.)

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

leeahsgerasmom
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM

my kids dont eaat meat at all my dd who is 3 told me that she loves chickens cows and fish and wont eat them lol...

and my ds 2 just wont

CafeMom Tickers
cancerian77
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM

my 2.5 yr old eats like a damn tiny bird!  she rarely tries anything new and man, have we tried to get her to eat different things...shes a big fan of ice cream and cheese and garlic crackers, but when it comes to veggies, she rarely touches them.  Sometimes brocolli, or carrots, but she is the pickiest eater in the land.   I hope this is a phase- the doc said some kids at her age are like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)