Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with babies who have Asthma

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

When my son was born, he had a lung infection and was on some major meds.  Then since he was an infant, when he gets sick, it goes straight to his lungs and he gets all wheezy.  Fast forward to now, he is 2 years 3 months.  He has a fever, and started to wheeze.  Since the flu is going around, the docs wanted to see him ASAP.  We took him in, and I almost canceled becasue his fever went away and even though he was still wheezy, he was bouncing off the wall and acting fine. 

Today, the doctors diagnosed him with Asthma and for the next week, we have to do breathing treatments every 4 hours, then once a day for the next few years.  They also did chest xrays and stuff.

I just can't believe he was so sick and we didn't know it! 

Is there any info you can share with me about Asthma???  I've never had it, my husband hasn't either, but DH's dad has it really bad and thats where the docs think he got it from.  I'm really nervous, last night we gave him his nebbulizer as we do when he gets sick and he was bad again only 2 hours later.  Is Asthma really serious?

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Asthma can be very serious.  But, as you learn the early warning signs and triggers, it will get easier to treat.  They will be able to have him on preventative meds when he gets older and they will help as well.  Just take things one day at a time, keep an eye out for issues, and do what they docs say.  Everything will be fine.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

It can be very serious and it can be mild.  My dd was mild.  She got diagosed at age 4 but if we were living in the states she would have been  diagnosed a year or so earlier.  We lived in Italy and they don't know what they are doing. 

She only had problems if she was sick.  We didn't do daily treatments or anything.  She is 15 and hadn't done a treatment in 4 years.  She had swine and got an inhaler because she lost the cord to her nebulizer and she is PLENTY old enough for an inhaler now.  I feel she has pretty much outgrown it now. 

I know people that use inhalers every single day and have about died from an asthma attack.  Its a disorder that has so many variables. 

mamakenzi
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Asthma can become very serious if you do not follow the doctor's orders.  I was diagnosed at 4, it's very managable.  I haven't used my rescue inhaler since July.  I take daily meds and know my limits.  You will learn the triggers and how to effectively deal with them.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

shoegirl01
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM

What are the symptoms of an asthma attack?  The doctor was concerned that we gave him the neb but two hours later he was wheezing again.  We had no idea that it was serious and when do we need to take him to the hospital?  I'm googling it and it says "when they wheeze" but not how much..

Quoting atlmom2:

It can be very serious and it can be mild.  My dd was mild.  She got diagosed at age 4 but if we were living in the states she would have been  diagnosed a year or so earlier.  We lived in Italy and they don't know what they are doing. 

She only had problems if she was sick.  We didn't do daily treatments or anything.  She is 15 and hadn't done a treatment in 4 years.  She had swine and got an inhaler because she lost the cord to her nebulizer and she is PLENTY old enough for an inhaler now.  I feel she has pretty much outgrown it now. 

I know people that use inhalers every single day and have about died from an asthma attack.  Its a disorder that has so many variables. 

shoegirl01
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I just picked up his medication and it was $235!!!!!!!  I can't believe he will have to take this daily.  I wish there was a cheaper alternative!

kltaylor07
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:50 PM

is it pulmacort or xopenex?  (i know i totally just butchered the spelling!).  those were SO expensive (WITH my insurance) that i told the pharmacist not to fill it and went back to my pediatrician and told him he had to give me samples to see if it would even work in the first place. 

with my own son he was VERY wheezy and we did everything froma neb to xrays.  nothing worked.  we did albuterol, the xopenex, and the pulmicort and nothing was working.  he was also getting constantly sick with gross stuff growing in his throat (looked like strep but all 3 tests came back neg), constant ear infections and fevers.  after the 3rd strep test came back negative i called up and ENT at the childrens hospital and BEGGED him to see my son that very day. 

turns out it wasn't asthma, allergies, or anything else that the 3 doctors we went to thought that it was.  it was that his adenoids were so HUGE that they were blocking his airways to breathe.  they were also blocking the way that his ears and throat should drain causing constant infections.  he was 10 mos old before they found it but it took an ENT 5 mins to diagnose him. 

just a thought incase the meds don't help to maybe look for another answer with an ENT. 

Quoting shoegirl01:

I just picked up his medication and it was $235!!!!!!!  I can't believe he will have to take this daily.  I wish there was a cheaper alternative!

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget the ones who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

shoegirl01
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM

He is on both, He is on the Xopenex every 4 hours because its so bad, then the Pulmicrot every evening until he is old enough for an inhailer.  Wish I lived closer to Canada!

Blakesmom2506
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM

asthma can be very serious and very mild and it depends on the person and how each one deals with and does what the drs tell them to do. I am 28 have had it all my life. it was really bad as a child sorta out grew it and then its bad and good at different times of the year but the past year its getting worse again but i also have very bad allergies so thats does not help either. I take inhalers and meds morning and night for my asthma and its pretty well under control. you will get to know your son and his symptoms and when he will need to have a breathing treatment. My son is 3 years old and has asthma as well was supposed to take a breathing treatment daily for like 15 min. I have not done it in over 6 months because he has an inhaler (qvar and pro air) as well as the palmocort and abuteral in the breathing machine. I know what affects him and when he will need a breathing treatment. I never mess around with him or i when we get sick we have any type of wheezing he is going in because he can not tell me whats wrong and i rather be safe then sorry. People with asthma are prone to the bronchitis and the upper respitory illnesses like sinus infections and all that stuff and it affects us usally a lot harder then those that dont have asthma. Just do what the dr says and over time you will get to know when your son needs a treatment and when not to and if he is not all that bad i would not give to him unless he REALLY needs it but you can decide that when you know whats affects him and everything. Maybe he will out grow it when he gets older some people do i did somewhat and then got it worse like it was when i was a child so it just depends but its nothing to ever mess around with i always take him or i in when ever i feel he is getting sick and has the slightest bit of wheezing because like i said we are prone to that upper respitory crap and i rather catch it early and know what it is if anything and if not i will know its just viral and will pass in a certain amount of says and if not better back in he goes... if you have any more questions feel free to email me and i can try and help where i can.. Good luck hope he starts to feel better soon asthma sucks and its herditary hince why my son has it and my allergies as well :(

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM

We were told my son had asthma when he was about 18 months. He had been wheezing at night, was prone to chest infections and would have a barking cough when he would get excited or cry.

The nebulizer never did anything, they gave him a fast acting and a steroid. After another year I finally pushed to see an ear nose and throat doctor and he has laryngomalacia. We are managing it now and have noticed a huge change in him. I wish I would have asked to speak to someone sooner about it... So no, I don't have experience with an asthmatic child but I have experience with treating one lol

Good luck.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

jmetz4
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I have had asthma my entire life. I come home in respiratory distress. I was in and out of the hospital till I was five. Didn't have a Christmas at home until I was 5. The best thing I can recommend is when he has to take his nebulizer, try to give him something to do to make it fun. I know they have different ones now then from when I was young (we still have it somewhere around my parents house) but they are probably just as boring. The little girl I babysit watches tv when she has to take hers. I used to have the mask one so I could talk while doing the treatment. Now I think they are ones you have to put in your mouth. Obviously you know better then me now.

Also my pediatrician told my parents to give me a small amount of coffee when I was a toddler. Ask his pediatrician first though. I have not researched it but it was something about stimulating the airways. It seems like I didn't stop wheezing till middle school. Then it started to get worse in high school. Good luck!

If you need anymore tips I can ask my mom what she remembers. Message me if needed.

Julieemailsignature.jpg picture by jmetz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)